Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Want to build stand alone closet

I am looking to build a stand alone closet for my master bedroom. Has anyone built one? I was initially looking at armoire designs but I'm looking at a minimum of 72 inches wide and 24 inches deep. I haven't seen anything out there beers ikea and I don't plan on spending $500-1500 on it. I'm looking at building from ground zero or maybe a repurpose project. If anyone has any current sketches I could look at id appreciate it. I'm basically looking at building a really wide armoire minus doors and drawers as I already have a dresser.

cbankish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Why not just go with a cabinet as they used during the 19th Century. A local Mennonite cabinet maker, should be able to make one that would fit in for what you want. Ikea is fine. If you have ever visited a European or Asian home. There is no cabinets, etc sold or rented with homes and apartments. All of it you will find is Ikea. They remove the cabinets and take them with them, when the renters move to the next residence.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 510

I built one years ago. Just build a box with 2x2s, cover with luan plywood. Dress up the top and bottom with molding if you want. Build your own doors, or design around store bought louvered bi-folds.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,518

IKEA = swedish for particle board.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
IKEA = swedish for particle board.
Not all of their stuff is Particle board. There are some items that are solid wood. You will pay more for the upscale stuff. Going with a Mennonite Cabinet Builder would be the best way. Pay less, but better quality then what you can find in the stores.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 95

whatever you decide to do, especially if youre building or having one built, is to make sure it fits up the stairs....assuming bedroom is up a staircase and it's built somewhere other than in the room it's going.

my mother had one built years ago, and it didnt fit up the stairs. guy literally chopped the sucker in half in order to get it up there, lol.

they had a similar problem when they moved in and the queen size box spring said no dice. had to take stair treads off.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Chokingdogs, that is not a construction of the cabinet or size of the mattress. That is piss poor planning by the person that built the home.

In some older homes, they would actually remove the upstairs windows. Then bring the large stuff up that way, with blocks and tackle, along with a whole lot of muscle power. But of course the windows were taller also.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 754

If your not will to spend $500 for something 6' w and 2' deep you better get your hammer out.Materials for any decent quality wood will cost you that.The easiest way is to buy enough 3/4 cabinet grade ply of your choice.Cut the sides and put together with dados.Cut a 3/8" dado in the back of the cabinet to glue and nail a 1/4 back into.Don't just nail to back.You need the dado fro stability and to hold the cabinet square.Build and attach a solid wood face frame to the front of at least 2" wide stiles and rails.You will need some type of support in the center .Both vertically and horizontally .If you put a shelf in the center going close to half way up and something vertical under it for support in the center you should be OK.
It's basically a box.You will not be ably to build anything that looks decent and will hold up that is open like a closet from top to bottom.
Owned a custom cabinet shop for 14 years so know a little about this stuff.You could have the top half completely open but need some support for in the bottom half that you could put shelf on.Also need a top rail and a center stile to support the top so it would be open.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 95

i wouldnt go that far....it was just a function of the age and style of house. 1 1/2 story colonial built in 1943. my current house, built in 1960, almost didnt allow me to put my spare fridge in the basement, and that's nothing more than 22 cu ft side by side.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input. Still deciding what im going to do. I know once I do it the wife will take that area over anyway. My plan is to get the hammer out and do some work. But I have a feeling I'll be skipping the doors. Can eventually put a wall up and make a huge walk in closet.

cbankish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armoire, closet, wardrobe