Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #1

Share |

wallpaper removal

I am trying to strip wallpaper off drywall and apparently it was put up without first priming the wall. The glue is staying on wall. I would like any suggestions as to how to remove without damaging the drywall.
earnhardtgo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #2

wallpaper removal

I have encountered this before and the only thing I could come up with was using a wet scrub pad and wet towel to level it out enough to prime over.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
old guy contractor

wallpaper removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by earnhardtgo88 View Post
I am trying to strip wallpaper off drywall and apparently it was put up without first priming the wall. The glue is staying on wall. I would like any suggestions as to how to remove without damaging the drywall.
Are you planning on painting or rewallpapering?
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

wallpaper removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
Are you planning on painting or rewallpapering?
I am going to paint.
earnhardtgo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

wallpaper removal

There's no magic for removing wallpaper. You can "score" the paper with a Tiger scoring tool although sometimes that's not necessary. Then it's just a process of wetting and rewetting the paper til you can get it to come off. The "scoring" allows the water to penetrate the paper and reactivate the paste so the paper releases from the wall. If you are lucky, you can actually pull off the vinyl coating of the paper without water........this will leave the paper backing of the wallpaper on the wall. Then you wet and rewet the paper and usually it comes off in big sheets if you keep the paper wet for 20 to 30 minutes.

No matter what, it's a process that requires lots and lots of patience. You have to let the water work. Hot or warm water in a garden sprayer is one way to keep wetting the paper. You can use a paint roller loaded up with hot water and roll the water onto the paper. I have even used an old Wagner paint sprayer to spray a light mist onto the paper over and over.

For really stubborn areas, wet the paper and apply some saran wrap or thin plastic to the wall to seal in the water and let it work.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Pure Genius

wallpaper removal

Ive used a 75/25 mix of vinager and water. Soak it on there and then used a grill brush to scrape it off. I have plaster so the walls are more durable then drywall. Just fyi.
Dierte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

wallpaper removal

Our paper was put up 40 years ago. It took forever to get it down, especially on the outside wall. I got most of the glue by using a wallpaper paste digestive enzyme along with a razor scraper -- the kind with a 4 inch blade on a handle. Just go slow.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-4-in-...5#.UT9vl1dv1G4
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

wallpaper removal

Try adding fabric softener to your eater and let it sit a couple minutes
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

wallpaper removal

I stripped my daughter's bedroom and the wallpaper was 19 years old. There was no prime on the drywall. I peeled the facing off, invested in a garden sprayer, sprayed the wallpaper backing left on the wall and within minutes I was able to start peeling the wallpaper away. I used hot water, no need for scoring or DIF. Very simple but tedious.
trosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

wallpaper removal

First off the paper should have paste, not glue holding it. I have found a garden tank sprayer with water at near any temp to work well. You have to work in sections and have a nice flexible drywall knife handy. And saturate the paper.

I have used those tiger things at times too. But if this is paper on drywall. Skim coating after the tiger pounce wheel is definitely in your future. Those things are rather desctrutive.

Do not try to wet the whole wall at once. Work in manageable sections. You may find that once you get a piece of it loose, water will take the rest off.

Last edited by user1007; 05-30-2013 at 02:18 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
paper hanger and painter

wallpaper removal

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote