Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #1

Share |

Wall Tiling...

I am doing a remodel on our guest bath. We own a 1966 house and the bath was in dire need of a redo.

I completely gutted the bath. Redid the electrical. Redid (most) of the plumbing. That was fun. House used old cast iron EVERYWHERE. Bends were sticking out past the wall. Had to get creative with the drywall at certain points.

Installed a new jetted tub. Dry wall is up on the wall and ceiling. I put on CBU around the tub.

Here is the point I am at today. I just finished tiling the floor. I will be putting on a coat of redguard around the shower.

My question pertains to tiling the wall.

1. The corners (inside). I was thinking of cutting the tiles (6"x6") at a 45' so that I wont have to worry about getting grout in the corder. Or, should I leave about a tile space on the corner and get some grout in there?

2. I have a bucket of tile adhesive I was going to use for the wall. I believe its called mastic right? Is it okay to use this on the walls (non wet area) and then when I am putting up the tile in the shower area go back to using thinset? Or, should I just save some money and use thinset for all of it? Is there a preferred method? Does one offer something the other doesnt besides convenience?

3. Should I redguard the celing also?

Yes, I did pull permits, and I am pretty happy, mr. inspector said that I did a pretty good job on the electrical and plumbing. Didnt have to fix anything.

Thanks!
Alex.

s4alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #2

Wall Tiling...

The corners will need to be caulked, not grouted as well as the tile/tub interface. You will need to leave a space in the corner to accept the caulk.
It's not necessary to Redguard the ceiling, but it can't hurt.
Mastic is fine to use in non wet areas.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Wall Tiling...

What Ron said ^^^^
You could cut your inside corner tiles at a 45d but you still need to caulk as ron said. So, I wouldn't bother. When I tile a shower I usually want full tiles on the outside somewhere and have my cuts in the inside corners. I would just use thinset everywhere and save the $$$ and not buy mastic. If you already have mastic and thinset I would return the mastic. If its opened only use mastic in non-wet areas.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #4

Wall Tiling...

Thanks for information so far.. I am gonna go and return the bucket and just use thinset. I dont mind mixing it.

I am tiling all wall in the bath up to 46" (40" for 6", 3" for glass trim, 3" for tile edging)

Should I caulk non-wet area's also, or is movement only an issue in the tub area? So, if the corner is gapped, and I just lay out all the wall's, the very inside of the room will have no caulk/grout since the tile will almost touch in the corner right? the caulk would just be on the out side of the inside corner? Which is my gapping questions. Should I leave just enough to get some caulk in there?

I havent caulk the floor yet, as I am using the same tiles for the floor and wall (mostly) and am saving the grout for doing it all at once. So, after the walls are up, I will caulk first, then grout.

The mastic was like 60 or so for the bucket.. that was like 3 times more than the best thinset hd sold.. I am gonna save some money.
s4alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Wall Tiling...

I make the gap the same as my tile spacing and then fill with caulk that is the closest color to the grout I can find. I kinda over fill it a bit. I caulk at all transitions between surfaces and dissimilar materials.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote