Wall Repair In Damp Basement - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
klj

Rewards Points: 10

Wall repair in damp basement

I recently purchased my home from a flipper (big mistake!). The house was built in 1926. The exterior is brick and stucco. The basement is not finished but the walls have been coated with concrete to cover the ragged looking poured concrete foundation. Sadly, the flipper did not repair any of the cracks in the foundation or attempt to waterproof in any way. I just went downstairs and found very large, dry bubbles in concrete on the walls. I can poke my hole through them and can feel that the concrete wall behind is damp. The flipper covered the walls a little over a year ago. I have recently re-sloped everything around the house so water runs away from the foundation. We also have gutter extenders installed and we installed new glass block windows. So...what do I do? Do I chip off as much of the flippers handy-work as possible and then apply a waterproof primer? Do I simply re-apply concrete over the walls but actually do a good job? Should I be worrying about mold (the bathroom wall runs against the foundation wall)? In the disclosure, the flipper admitted that there had been water in the basement in the past. She claimed that the covering the walls with concrete fixed the problem. If it matters, our pipes sweat like you would not believe - lots of puddles under the pipes. I bought a dehumidifier a month ago and that has taken care of the pipe condensation and dampness in the basement. Any recommendations and product suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! klj

Advertisement

klj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

You can not sucessfully waterproof those walls from the inside. She's an idiot if she thought that's what she was doing.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Hi,

You can not waterproof from the inside. Anything done on the inside is cosmetic. The water is already inside.

Draining the water away from the house is the best way. Give it some time and see if the walls stay dry.
Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Ecopreneur/Entrepreneur

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with Lefty. The source is water coming INTO your home. You want to make sure that it is flowing away. Waterproofing is still a good idea but that's only half the solution.

Good luck,

Alan
http://GreatThingsAreGreen.im-for.com
ACB123 is offline   Reply With Quote