Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

wall-nuts

I'm wanting to install soap insets in my 36x36 shower.
I will also be installing a glass door.
I don't have a clue where to go with these projects.

wall-nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Tool Geek

wall-nuts

nuts, Welcome to the Forum

Surface mounts are much easier to install than insets. Some even come with Suction cups for instant mounting.
http://www.thefind.com/furniture/info-teak-shower-shelf

Corner shelves as in the attached pic can be glued on

Shower doors as far as I know are all a custom install because of the huge range in sizes and types of glass. They also have to be tempered glass so it is not usually a DIY project.
Attached Thumbnails
wall-nuts-bath-shower-shelf.jpg  

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaliBob For This Useful Post:
wall-nuts (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
STAFF

wall-nuts

While I have done quite a bit of tile work, I am by no means an expert like some of the fellows here on the board. What I personally would do if I wanted to do that is cut the holes with a side grinder with a diamond blade. Cut all the way into the cavity of the wall, wad up some newspaper and stuff into the hole. mix up some plaster of paris and put a glob of the plaster on the back of the soap dish and insert it into the hole you cut. You may have to secure the soap dish until the plaster sets up. That is what I would do. There may be newer ways to do it now days but hey, I am an ole man, ya know.

Hey Bob, I love that shower, that is nice.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 09-20-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: I told you I was old
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

wall-nuts

In regard to "soap inserts", is your shower tile? If so, are they large tiles, as shown in Bob's picture? If so, I agree. If they are smaller tiles, I would remove a tile (or tiles), depending on the sizes of the tiles and soap inserts, and grout it in place.

In regard to installing a glass door, my suggestion would be to get the exact dimensions that you will require, then check with you local lumber yard or building center. Although this is obviously an abbreviated version, a typical first time installation will involve drilling some holes in your side walls, screwing the side panels in place, assembling, and caulking. The only thing that I have successfully done differently on reinstallations, if the hinge panels are predrilled, is to drill new holes in it, which align with the holes in the wall, and then plug the original holes in the panels with plastic caps and a dab of caulk. This is not necessary, but it eliminates the need to drill additional holes in the tile. Regardless, your local supplier should be able to provide you with an installation manual, or at least point you to a website where you can download one, to see if it is something that you want to take on yourself.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
wall-nuts (09-27-2010)