Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Share |

Wall AC Unit

Okay, here is my dilemma. I have purchased a home that has an old Air Conditioning Wall Unit that is inserted in a very awkward location in the living room. I have recently installed a heat pump system so the old Wall AC unit is no longer needed. I would like to remove the Wall AC unit and fill the void in the wall. The inside of the house repair (drywall, tape, mud, etc.) is not the issue. The issue is on the outside. I have aluminum siding on the outside of the house that was cut when the Wall AC unit was installed. I was not left any extra siding when I purchased the home. How do i repair the outside of the house?

pbcleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Wall AC Unit

Remove AC unit,remove the siding on the outside wall on both sides of the hole.
Add 2x4 studs in the hole.apply plywood to outside along with vapor barrier,replace siding with longer pieces.

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3

Wall AC Unit

How would I be able to match up the siding by size and color? The aluminum siding is about 40 years old so I would think I would have a hard time matching them.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

Wall AC Unit

Remove some siding from some less conspicuos place on home. Down low, behind shrubs, somewhere else? Replace that with as close a match as you can find. Have you looked for match? Mite be surprized, some styles, patterns still around after more than 40 years. If something sells, don't mess with success.
When patching AC hole, and canabalized pieces, do not use all same length pieces. Stagger joints, Some joints should be several feet from patch, some may be right in center of patch. No joints should be directly over seams or joints in patch or vapor barrier.

Your home is a treasure trove of parts for other projects. Tho some family members may object when they discover open hole where window used to be.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-27-2012 at 11:35 AM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #5

Wall AC Unit

Would Home Depot or Lowes be a smart place to look for a match or would I be better going to a company directly?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Wall AC Unit

Start at big boxes, then to local siding companies, then suppliers, makers. How about a photo of siding? especially show profile, some one may recognize it.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote