Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Share |

Wait... or air quality test?

All -

Fantastic resource here, have already learned a great deal.

We just purchased a foreclosure in VA Beach. Built in '65, sat vacant for at least 6 months. Inspector said it was a great house, got a clear termite/moisture letter, etc.

We've only been in the house for a week but the musty smell from the kitchen has yet to dissipate. We are curious if we should get an air quality test or wait to see if it goes away.

More background: when we moved in we noticed a small leak under the kitchen from the drain pipe which we fixed. Also noticed that the laminate floor in front of the sink is slightly warped or raised or otherwise not level with the rest of the floor.

Lastly, my wife spoke with a fellow teacher who lives a street over. She had a child who she thinks may have lived in this house but had to move "because of the mold."

Long story short - do we have enough indicators to suspect a possible mold problem, thereby justifying a $500+ indoor air quality test?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

lambo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #2

What is the current humidity level in the house ?
What was done after the leak was fixed to remove moisture ?
Is this built on a slab, basement, crawl space ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

Scuba_Dave -

Humidity level unknown... need to buy a humidity tester.
It only leaked when we ran the kitchen sink, so I have no idea how long the previous owners used it without fixing the leak.
Built on a crawl space. Brand new ducting and moisture barrier, but zero insulation - to be fixed ASAP.

We have a contractor over who has done tons of various work over the years and said it smells like mold and the wood under the sink is swollen from a leak.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #4

Sounds like your smell test is enough. Tear up the stinky wood, or somehow cut a hole in it and look. My son reacted severely to mold in a closet when he was cleaning to move from an apartment; went outside and still could hardly breathe. He has asthma now; lived there for two years w/ APPARENTLY no problems. Mold is nasty. I'd jump on it w/ both feet asap. john
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #5

As John says, remove everything around the sink to clear spots on the floor and wall. You need to peel back and remove all cabinets, flooring and wall material that could cover mold growth. Treat the rest.
Get air quality tests before and after to confirm it's gone.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #6

Thanks jklingel and Ron6519.

Looks like it is time for some demo. Will take some pics and post back if it is as bad as I think it might be...