Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl Window Replacement

Hello,

We're in the process of replacing our aluminum flame windows with vinyl windows in our home. The question I have is what type of window structure do I want with cedar siding?

Is our best bet to take out the old frame and install a new construction style window and just fit the new window into the frame without nail fin, or should we get the nail fin and cut into the siding a couple inches and add fillers to secure the window.

I've provided some pictures to show the current windows, the frame, and the siding.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice,
Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl Window Replacement-windows-001.jpg   Vinyl Window Replacement-windows-002.jpg   Vinyl Window Replacement-windows-009.jpg   Vinyl Window Replacement-windows-012.jpg   Vinyl Window Replacement-windows-013.jpg  

Vinyl Window Replacement-windows-015.jpg  

aschau01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #2

Vinyl Window Replacement

The setup you have is not the usual setup I'm used to seeing. Usually the siding is butted to the perimeter wood frame, not the window. If you used new construction windows with the fins, you would cut back the siding so the fins would sit flat against the sheathing, leaving room for the weatherstripping and the sealant strips.
If you wanted to use remodel windows, you would need to install stop perimeter molding so the new window would sit against something.
Remodeling type windows would require you to redo the interior moldings. New construction would require you to do the exterior and the interior finish surrounds.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #3

Vinyl Window Replacement

Remove the interior trim, measure the Rough Opening(inside dimension of framing) as a guide for new windows, check for a square opening. Order new windows made to RO(not make size) with nail fin, most manufacturers will make the window 1/4" smaller than the RO. Remove the exterior trim and trim the siding as needed. Caulk the nailing fin before installing. CAREFULLY, flash the windows, starting from the bottom. Make sure you install a metal flashing on top, that goes up under the housewrap, and over the window top. Seal all air gaps from the inside with NON-expanding foam, I like DAP Foam.

If you select a wood windows manufacturer, you will likely not be able to get exact sizes without leaving firstborn.

Last edited by Just Bill; 12-23-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote