Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl siding water issue.

I have a 100 year old 2 story wood frame house with an add on flat roofed sunroom. This weekend we got some heavy driving rain and I got some water coming in at the seam between the sunroom and the old house. I went up on the flat roof and couldn't see any obvious places for water to get in. I then took a look at the wall adjacent to the flat roof. I popped a few chunks of vinyl siding and found evidence of water back there. I looked for where the water could be getting in and found what looked like a good place in the trimwork on a bay window on that wall.

It looks like the water from the wall above the bay window is going to get funneled by that J channel right into that hole in the siding. Does anyone have a good idea what I could do to fix this? To me this looks wrong, but I don't know how someone would correctly trim out this area. Any ideas would help.

bdresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
JOATMON

I'm not a vinyl guy and even I can see the problem. That j rim is channeling the water right behind your siding just as you noted....

First....how long since the work was done? I would be getting the contractor back out to fix it.

Normally the J trim would be bent around that corner...not cut like that.

Complicating your issue is that it looks like that addtion intersects at an able.....

I don't see the fix being easy......

Interested to see what the experts say.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #3

I've been in the house for 6 years and it was done before I bought it. This wall is under a pretty large overhang so it only gets wet when there is a pretty good driven rain, so I think that's why I haven't seen any issues until now. It was a contractor who owned the place before me and I keep finding fun issues like this so it really shows what kind if contractor he was.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Mod

That whole intersection needs to be re-worked and a kick out flashing needs to be installed. This will require removing some of the siding and possibly a little roofing to do this.

Take a look at “this” article, it will show you what it should look like behind the siding. The article shows a stucco wall but all the same principles apply to what you have too.

Also take a look at "this thread", it will show you what you'll be dealing with if you don't take care of this.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 10-16-2012 at 07:12 AM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (10-16-2012), HomeSealed (10-18-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

The other issue is there seems to be no soffit above that window.
That piece of siding should have been left longer so it could go all the way to the wall, not stop at the fashia.

The J moulding on the roof is sitting tight againt the shingles. It's suppost to be up off the roof so trash does not just lay in that area, and washes out when it rains.
I like to install my first piece of step flashing sitting out about 1" from the drip cap in a corner like that so the water drips out away from all those trouble spots.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Home Performance

This is one of those situations where you try a few "easy" fixes but the leak always comes back. If it were me, I'd tear off the shingles on the bay roof and the section of siding above it, water and ice everything (run from the roof, up the wall), then put everything back together with proper flashing, re-worked j-channel, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (10-18-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
journeyman carpenter

when i get to spots like that when using vinyl. the entire transition gets a kickout flashing and peel and stick flashing installed first before the siding goes on.. the peel and stick starts down at the fascia board and tucks up under the step flashing

also a 1"notch is made in the shingles and drip edge so that the j channel just runs straight up through and your not stuck making a jog in it which becomes inpossible to lay properly with so little of the nailing flange left
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-21-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #8

Thanks for all the good help. I plan to do it right and pull enough siding and shingles to get the whole area shedding water like it should. I'll update with pics when I get to it.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #9

Since it's been 6 years and you have to take some of the siding off anyway check real good for any water damage as this would be the time to address it.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote