Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #1

Share |

vinyl siding OR cement board prefinished????

have done vinyl but concerned with seeing others 10-15 year old siding with holes all over it. Dont know if it was thin cheap stuff or all gets brittle. Want something I dont have to paint and will stand up to "rental abuse"

If I decide on cement board would use white plastic solid lumber for trim. Is one brand better than others??(for cement board siding itself)

which is better,,cement board or vinyl for Nebraska brutal cold winters and broiling summers.???

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Mod

vinyl siding OR cement board prefinished????

For a Nebraska rental I’d say you would be better of with fiber cement.
Vinyl is very brittle when it’s cold. You can just about pop a hole in it by looking at it, let alone your renters kids throwing stuff around. It’s not very weed eater friendly either.

Hardi Plank is by far the industry leader in fiber cement siding. There are some other brands that have been breaking into the market recently but I haven’t used any of them yet, so can’t give a opinion on that.

Of coarse with fiber cement, you’ll be painting.