Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl Replacement Windows

I have two estimates on the table for 10 new vinyl replacement windows. The prices are compareable. One contractor will install Great Lakes 4000 series double hung windows for $3340 and the other will install double hung windows from Vinyl Window Designs Ltd (Climate Shield) for $3600.

Is anyone familiar with either brand of windows? Could you offer a recommendation? Thanks!

fixiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sorry, never heard of either, but you should compare warranties on the glass, the installation and the window frame. Make sure these companies have been around for a while. The warranty won't mean much if the company goes belly up.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I've never heard of either of them before. Vinyl windows of any kind aren't that great. Vinyl contracts and expands and glass doesn't. Two materials that should never be put together. The reason you chose to go with vinyl is...matching old windows, thought they would be low maintenance(they aren't), and they are inexpensive.
If you want a quality window, go with Anderson or Marvin. Even a Pella or a Jeld Wen would be better. Sure you pay more money. You can't expect to buy fine wine on a beer budget.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

jaros, we up here use vinyl 90 % of the time. The glass is not physically attached to the vinyl.. and multiple rubber seals seal from glass to vinyl on both sides. I'm curious as to why you dislike them. Cheers
cobracdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #5

90% of them are substandard. I have had few that didn't come warped, assembled wrong, operated poorly, broken fins, poor weatherstripping, or didn't last more than 10 years. They don't last, plain and simple. You can't take a material that contracts and expands and expect it to work from -40 to 110 without any problems.

I would compare vinyl windows to using pressure treated for your deck. Yes, it can be done, but why not spend the extra money to get something you can appreciate. Laminate flooring is another good example.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Contractor

Interesting.. we don't seem to have that problem here in Western Canada. Mine were installed in 1992, and they are as good as new. Cheers
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #7

I have had Alside's top line windows for 8 years and have had no issues. They do seem very well build. Although, had I been a little more educated I would have just spent the extra mony for good wood clad windows such as Anderson.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #8

wood swells and shrinks metal expands and contracts i dont see whats so different about vinyl but i agree you get what you pay for
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #9

I stayed away from installing vinyl windows for years. As a contractor I would see house after house with issues. The two most prevalent were broken glass seals and broken balances. Many from companies that were no longer in business. It seemed every Tom, Dick and Harry were opening vinyl window companies back in the '70's and '80's. And most of them were crap.
I finally came accross a company as a result of one of my customers buying a house with 65 windows. The previous owner had replaced about 18 windows with vinyl back in 1989. I love it when the window companies put their name and made date in the spacer between the glass. This was in 1998 and all the windows were in great shape. I found out where they were and have been using them since. I haven't had one call back with these windows.
You just need to find the right company.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobracdn View Post
jaros, we up here use vinyl 90 % of the time. The glass is not physically attached to the vinyl.. and multiple rubber seals seal from glass to vinyl on both sides. I'm curious as to why you dislike them. Cheers

Does Canada get over 70 degrees for several days straight...I would still recommend a wood clad window over vinyl...."A" and Canadians live in there own world ... you get what you pay for... and the Canadian forgot to mention most MFG of vinyl windows goes out of business in several years so lifetime warranties only mean for as long as the vinyl company is in business and making windows....good luck if you ever need parts... another fact 65% of vinyl windows leak air in 4-5 years after they are installed most do not last more than 10 to 15 years if your lucky here in the states were the temps change 100 degrees then down to 50 degrees... I would recommend Marvin, Andersen, Eagle, good luck
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILY P View Post
Does Canada get over 70 degrees for several days straight...I would still recommend a wood clad window over vinyl...."A" and Canadians live in there own world ... you get what you pay for... and the Canadian forgot to mention most MFG of vinyl windows goes out of business in several years so lifetime warranties only mean for as long as the vinyl company is in business and making windows....good luck if you ever need parts... another fact 65% of vinyl windows leak air in 4-5 years after they are installed most do not last more than 10 to 15 years if your lucky here in the states were the temps change 100 degrees then down to 50 degrees... I would recommend Marvin, Andersen, Eagle, good luck
From all your posts you are definitely anti vinyl. Yet how do you account for Alside? Around for over 50 years, the top manufacturer of windows in the US and Canada and then your reference to expansion? Vinyl has the shortest memory from heat changes vs aluminum and wood and does not have a greater failure rate than the others. What is the current warranty for Andersen windows? 10 years for box stores, and 20 for special order? Sell what you like, but this is not a site to disbarage other companies or products.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILY P View Post
Does Canada get over 70 degrees for several days straight
LOL.... You know that all of Canada is not in the Arctic right? Maybe Google up some info on your largest Trading partner.. your biggest source of energy.. etc etc.

Oh Ooooo.. have to run the Picture window is becoming dislodged in my ice wall of my Igloo. rotflmao

Cheers
Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
90% of them are substandard. I have had few that didn't come warped, assembled wrong, operated poorly, broken fins, poor weatherstripping, or didn't last more than 10 years. They don't last, plain and simple. You can't take a material that contracts and expands and expect it to work from -40 to 110 without any problems.

I would compare vinyl windows to using pressure treated for your deck. Yes, it can be done, but why not spend the extra money to get something you can appreciate. Laminate flooring is another good example.
Vinyl expansion rates are completely overblown and have been disseminated by other window manufacturers marketing non vinyl windows.

A lineal on a 6ft patio door will expand the thickness of a nickel when subjected to a + or - temperature swing of 50 degrees.

Sash frames don't cause most seal failures, spacers, sealants (their applications) and sheer stress do. Many competitors grossly exaggerate the expansion and contraction of UPVC. For example, if you had even a 6-foot UPVC frame manufactured at a temperature of 60 degrees F, It would only expand or contract about the thickness of a nickel at 110 degrees or 10 degrees. ALL windows are designed to allow independent expansion/contraction of glass and sash frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixiechick View Post
I have two estimates on the table for 10 new vinyl replacement windows. The prices are comparable. One contractor will install Great Lakes 4000 series double hung windows for $3340 and the other will install double hung windows from Vinyl Window Designs Ltd (Climate Shield) for $3600.

Is anyone familiar with either brand of windows? Could you offer a recommendation? Thanks!
Great Lakes 4000 series will qualify for the 2009 Energy Credit if you upgrade to the Maxuus glass package.

Last edited by Hartford; 02-22-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #14

A 50 degree swing? Where do you live that has only a 50 degree swing? I have measured the expansion on a vinyl window and you can get quite a bit of movement. Wood won't move anywhere near to what vinyl moves. Wood does swell and shrink but a good window manufacturer uses a stable wood that doesn't do that. Take a 100 degree swing in a vinyl window, and then add the fact the window can't move because it's been nailed in place, restricted by trim, insulation, maybe drywall jambs. How can the window move? So the vinyl will bow, bend, and twist. Don't get me wrong, not all vinyl windows are garbage. There have just been tons of start up companies that have produced a cheap product and given all vinyl windows a bad name. Basically they've preyed upon unknowing homeowners who think they are getting a deal, when the fact of the matter is that it will end up costing them money in the end because their windows don't last. A significant cost of replacing a window is labor and if you have to do it twice, what did you save. For that matter, the cost of quality window would have to be twice the cost of the material and twice the labor to install to even out.
Now some homeowners have great vinyl windows. Great, but for those of us in the field that see hundreds of vinyl windows year in and year out, we see the vast quantities of cheap replacements and windows that are flooding the market and failing after two to three years.
I have to say there are good ones, but they are the minority and you will pay almost as much for them as you would a good wood clad or composite window.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with Jaros, these windows remind me of the movie Tin Man. I personally don,t like them. BOB.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote