Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2006, 01:40 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonicera
Share |

Vermont Castings Intrepid II Catalytic Woodstove

Does anyone know if the catalyic system can be successfully removed from this woodstove?

Lonicera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #2

Hi, I'm also trying to repair my Intrepid's catalytic system, and wonder if you ever had luck with yours?

Lars Bo Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #3

This is a two year old thread. I doubt you'll get a response from the original poster on this.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonicera View Post
Does anyone know if the catalyic system can be successfully removed from this woodstove?
Ive beenlooking to buy a used vermont castings woodstove and would prefer non cat. but the catalyic type are for sale more often and chearper. I talked to one man who was burning his stove with it removed one removed and said it worked gook but who knows, it was for sale. I suppose you caould install another damper in the pipe. Or maybe you could drill a hole right thru it like they do with cars after the cat coverter goes bad. I would take it out and try burning without it . then see if you can drill a hole thru it or series of holes and reinstall it to see how that works then if that doesnt work id like to see if you can install a shelf in its place to hold a firebrick for the smoke and fire to burn against in its place like a flame deflector of perhaps make it out of steele. theres got to be some solution and if i buy this stove tomorrow ill sure be expirimentig with it. ill post my results as soon as i do.
okragirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

I'm told that the parts to fix the innards of my Vermont Castings Intrepid will cost way too much.

The exterior is great.
The interior cast iron is warped and eroded badly.
The foamy material that holds the catalytic converter is badly eroded, partially missing.
The catalytic converter is in good shape except that it bulges out so it wouldn't fit in the ofamy material if that material were there.

I'd like to find some way to fix the damper effect using gastket material and gasket cement or firebrick or some other material. Right now too much air goes under the part that holds the damper and up throught the eroded holes in the foamy material and in the gap created by the warping of the bottom of the piece that holds the damper.

It seems to me that these parts just weren't designed to run 24x7, so replacing them with factory new parts will only solve the problem for a few years.

-Robert
ryoungnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #6

hi. were you able to permanently remove the cat and refractory from this stove?

details?

thank you

appleo
APPLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLEO View Post
hi. were you able to permanently remove the cat and refractory from this stove?

details?

thank you

appleo
I doubt you are going to get a response to a post that was started almost 8 years ago and mostly answered by people with 1 post to their user name

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote