DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Ventless gas fireplace vs. Home furance

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  LawnGuyLandSparky 
#1 ·
I have a Ranch style house, 18oo square feet and no basement. Have installed a ventless gas fireplace in living room. Question!... Would I use more gas and electric using the fireplace to heat the whole house or bye using the house furance by itself? The furance will be left on at 60 degrees all the time, using the fireplace. We like the house tempature in the winter at 75 degrees. Would I be using more in gas and electric using furance only incressing the tempature getting it up to desired temp? The fireplace uses 110 electric and furance 220 electric, both gas .:(

#2 · (Edited)
Without going into a bunch of math, I say the fireplace would probably use more fuel to heat the house, as it would be lit constantly and most likely overheat the room it is in long before the heat would spread and keep the other rooms comfortable. It is not a very efficient way to distribute heat through out an entire house.

#5 ·
I'm using the ventless fireplace with a blower in the living room to heat the house with the furnace set on 60 degrees. The ceiling fan in living room helps to move heat to other parts of the house. We have a carbonmonoxide detector. Can't see heating the whole house at 75 degrees when we spend most of are time in the living room. I think were saving on gas and electric.

#7 ·
I'm using the ventless fireplace with a blower in the living room to heat the house with the furnace set on 60 degrees. The ceiling fan in living room helps to move heat to other parts of the house. We have a carbonmonoxide detector. Can't see heating the whole house at 75 degrees when we spend most of are time in the living room. I think were saving on gas and electric.
The only savings you're realizing is because you aren't heating the entire house as your furnace would. If the thermostat is set to 60 and it's located in the area heated by the ventless fireplace, that furnace will never ignite. So in reality, your furnace heat isn't set for anything.

It would be cheaper to close the ducts to the rooms you don't want heated, and close those doors, and heat the occupied areas with your furnace.

I had a tenant who wanted her apartment warmer than the 70 degrees I'm required to provide. So she buys 3 space heaters and plugs them in, one in each room, and walks around the 80 degree apartment in her nighties. Until her electric bill for Jan / Feb came, $800.00 higher. What she failed to take into account was that her electric heaters were set higher than the wall thermostat, which means I paid nothing to heat her apartment at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.