Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Ventless gas fire place??

I know that most folks (and for good reason..i think) say not to use a ventless gas fireplace. However, in my case, i am considering getting one to use on very few occasions. I have an electric heat pump which is the main heat source, however I live in an area that frequently loses power (which could last a day or so). The house is wired for a generator to power the well and refrigerator, however no means to power a heat source. We also have a large propane tank that is plumbed throughout the house (however, currently has nothing connected to it). I was thinking of getting a stand alone ventless gas fireplace to only use when the power goes out (in the winter of course...hard to even fathom this with the current heat wave, but you get the idea). Can anyone please provide some input as to why this would or would not be a good idea??

Thanks

Bahuffma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,036

I think for short term use they are great, new units are safe and protect against low oxygen levels. I've used them and never had any problems.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Let me know what you get -- I've been wanting something similar for the garage to keep it warm.
suprvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

#10 on the worst list: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ong-from-start

Gary
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hey guys, I am wondering if any of you have ever replaced a wood fireplace with a vented gas fireplace. I guess you have to replace the entire box in order to do it asn was wondering what to watch out for and what type (brand) of fireplace you recommend. I live in CA so the direct vent option is out of the question. Any help is appreciated.
Travlnman is offline   Reply With Quote