Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #1

Share |

Ventilation Fan

I have a large storage room connected to my home. The interior walls consist of concrete block--unfinished-- and brick outside.
The crawl space under my home is partually vented to the interior of this room which is app. 550 sq.ft. and this room has several foundation vents.
This storage space is used for small engine repair and in winter time, it is sometimes used for outdoor grilling.
Needless to say--it needs to be vented and I would like to accomplish this in addition to power venting the crawl space.
This is what I would like---
(1) Mounted at least 6' above concrete floor.
(2) Be at least two speed.
(3) Simplest installation possible.

I have looked at several 10# and 12" vent fans with shutters mounted but I don't think the shutters would look right mounted to the face of the brick, and that would place the fan motor inside the cement blocks.
I would like to find a suitable fan to mount on the inside face of the blocks and have a separate shutter assembly mounted to the inside brick surface.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #2

Ventilation Fan

That crawl space should not be vented to that room. There is usually a lot of moisture in crawl space air and it will end up in that room. There are thru the wall fans that come with appropriate covers for the inside and outside. I assume there are no windows??

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

Ventilation Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
That crawl space should not be vented to that room. There is usually a lot of moisture in crawl space air and it will end up in that room. There are thru the wall fans that come with appropriate covers for the inside and outside. I assume there are no windows??
This sorage room was added on many years ago. It runs the entire length of the home and there are four vents exiting into the storage room.
I have to run a dehumidifier in the room because of moisture buildup and the fan I need will also serve the purpose of drawing the dampness from the crawlspace.
The fan will run on low speed, for ventilation, most of the time during humid weather, and will need to be at least one higher speed to accomplish removal of gas fumes and cookin smoke.
An attic vent fan would be easy to install but would not be practical because of higher CFMs and noise.
I have not seen an attic vent fan with multi speeds.
Foundation vent fans could be used but would not be large enough to draw upper level gas and smoke fumes.
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote