Varathane Floor Harwood Floor Refinishing System - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Varathane Floor Harwood Floor Refinishing System

I am planning to use the Varathane Hardwood Floor Refinishing System on our kitchen floor and would like to hear feedback from anyone who has used it
Thanks.

Advertisement

diywic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most of the DIY "one day" refinishing systems are water based polyurethane. Water based is low-odor and fast drying, although it isn't nearly as durable as oil based polyurethane. It doesn't build good thickness with multiple coats, or at least as good as oil based does.

I use water based poly in a lot of woodworking applications, but I wouldn't use it in a high-wear situation like a floor.

If you're trying to make your floor look better it might help. If you're trying to make your floor look new again, look elsewhere.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input. The floor I'm working on essentially needs refreshing so this should be a good fix.
diywic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Hi, I have used Standard Pacific by BonaX a swedish company I believe. It has had kids, dogs, and toys run across it. Saw a BRUCE floor a wreck in 9 mons with the kids and dogs running thru a friends house.
I then used their newer products same company Bona X. It is a two part mix and you can get commercial or high traffic. I put it on my staris in a beach house where everyone had run their bare sandy feet on the stairs and practically stripped them bare.
We sanded rest of way restained and used the high traffic. 3 years late when we sold they looked brand new still. We used 3 coats because of so much traffic on the stairs. Love this stuff. Costs about 80.00 and can only be found at a floor speciality store around here.

agrace is offline   Reply With Quote