Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Share |

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

the girlfriend and i bought a fixer uper. aside from our attic, there is no insulation in any of our walls. now, we are about to tackle our spare room. Here's my question/concern.

We are pretty sure our bricks are leaking. our wall has evidence of water damage. can i the following

exterior wall, vapour barrier, insulation, vapour barrier, drywall.

i know you generally just do, insulation, vapour barrier, drywall. any help would be appreciated. if that is a bit confusing. let me know. ill try to explain it better.

06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #2

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

Look, we here to answer you - not try deciphering your garbled texting because you're busy doing something else...what are you asking?

Looks like you're asking if 2 vapour barriers can be placed???

No!

Get with it if you want people to help

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GT View Post
the girlfriend and i bought a fixer uper. aside from our attic, there is no insulation in any of our walls. now, we are about to tackle our spare room. Here's my question/concern.

We are pretty sure our bricks are leaking. our wall has evidence of water damage. can i the following

exterior wall, vapour barrier, insulation, vapour barrier, drywall.

i know you generally just do, insulation, vapour barrier, drywall. any help would be appreciated. if that is a bit confusing. let me know. ill try to explain it better.
You might want to proof read the post before to hit the,"post" button.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
MJW

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
Looks like you're asking if 2 vapour barriers can be placed???

No!
Actually our current code here is essentially doing just that. Vapor barrier inside and outside the walls. We are sealing all walls and I really don't agree with it.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #5

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GT View Post

exterior wall, vapour barrier, insulation, vapour barrier, drywall
By exterior wall do you mean the brick ?
Is it just brick...then 2x framing?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #6

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

MJW:

Thanks for that info...two vapour barriers? i.e a vapour sandwich? from what I have read, that's not a good idea just from the scientific perspective, let alone opinions of code inspectors but OK. Maybe you see something we don't.

Does your code specifically allow, I dunno, say, two 6mil plastic vb's on both sides of a wooden stud/drywall wall in cold climates, or are they a bit vague about it? I suppose if the vb's were perfect, no moisture would enter anyway so no deterioration - but that's a perfect situation...

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #7

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

you bought a house w/o knowing ANYTHING about home ownership ? ? ? relax - that happens every day,,, think it comes from wanting a home and/or watching too much hgtv & thinking you can do it better/smarter/cheaper than the pro's,,, what you don't see portrayed is their learning curve & loss's

listen to carlisle - IXNAY on 2 vapor barriers,,, point those leaking brick walls FIRST,,, if you don't, you'll be replacing all the wet insulation &, possibly, have your mortgage holder breathing down your back !
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #8

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

LOL...Always good reading "itsreallyconc's" posts so early! gets the day going right. We're expecting a foot of snow today...

Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
MJW

vapour barrier HELP!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
MJW:

Thanks for that info...two vapour barriers? i.e a vapour sandwich? from what I have read, that's not a good idea just from the scientific perspective, let alone opinions of code inspectors but OK. Maybe you see something we don't.

Does your code specifically allow, I dunno, say, two 6mil plastic vb's on both sides of a wooden stud/drywall wall in cold climates, or are they a bit vague about it? I suppose if the vb's were perfect, no moisture would enter anyway so no deterioration - but that's a perfect situation...

Totally agree. All penetrations are sealed with foam inside and out. Poly inside, OSB outside with no spacing. I consider that a vapor barrier.

I have pulled nails out in the field on a wall and found them to be all rust. We have alot of work on our hands in the future. It wouldn't be the first time that the "scientists" and law makers said, "I guess we were wrong before, now do it this way"........

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote