Vapor Barrier - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

vapor barrier

im currently working on a concrete built home and im facing some challenges. We have extreme hot humid summers and cold winter . I used a dimpled membrane on my outer interior walls in the basement and i framed the walls with metal studs and roxul insulation . the question i have is do use a vapor barrier poly before i drywall? or not.

Advertisement

rezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

vapor barrier

Really need to know where you are located. Also, how close did you place the Roxul & studs? BTW, you do realize that metal and concrete floors do not mix, especially if there is any kind of moisture.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #3

vapor barrier

yes im aware of metal studs on concrete floor . I used a vapor seal plate before installed my metal studs i also placed the metal studs 2" from the dimpled membrane wall. this project is in China
Old 07-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

vapor barrier

What part of China. If you want some information, there is a couple topics going on regarding basements, etc., you can look at: Foam board necessary? Basement foundations a wavy mess - wanted to put up 2" xps

The only problem I see, is that steel is not going to last very long in that environment, unless you placed something under it, to separate the steel from the concrete (ie #30 Felt, heavy mil plastic).

Also, how is the ground sloped around the foundation, and are you sitting downhill of any water that may flow towards the structure, or uphill?

Can you post any pictures of your project?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

vapor barrier

Im working in Jiangxi province , south of Shanghai. I did place 8mm poly under my metal studs . What i did to prevent any moisture or added humidity entering the basement i used a Dimple board membrane like i explained. I also added a di humidifier vent in every room , Most of the homes are built with concrete or brick partition walls but i felt by building the partition walls out of metal i should be able to reduce any added moisture from added concrete. I plan to use roxul batt insulation which is moisture and fire proof. I have purchased water and moisture proof drywall and i attend to prime the walls with moisture proof latex paint made by DULUX ICI. I went a step further by installing a tile membrane on the floor[SUPERSEAL PRODUCT} The basement floor will have radiant heat . My big question was do i need to apply a 6mm poly before i board i would i be better of leaving the batt insulation and just boarding on top ? in my country [CANADA] im required to have the 6mm poly because of the extreme cold winters . But here in China we have no codes that i can follow so i have heard mixed views on the vapor barrier, I myself feel i would need to apply the poly but i am asking others for there opinions on this matter Thanks Greg for your response
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

vapor barrier

Really cannot say, since majority of the structures in China, are so cheaply built, they tend to fall down during a earthquake.

If you want to apply Western type standards in this building, I say go for it. Problem is, you may find other issues with the local authorities in how you are doing this build, due to they may not like the extra steps you are taking, to make the structure stand longer than others around it.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

vapor barrier

Since the radiant heat is in the slab, you will not lose any heat from the metal studs. Hopefully a thermal break was installed at slab/wall/footing joint against direct contact there. IMO, spray sealer on the screw connection at stud/bottom channel as this will rust first from installation when removing the zinc finish, also any cut ends of metal. With the dimpled material up, water transmission will be minimal, it should drain to collect/pump out if really wet walls from capillary wicking. Interior relative humidity at/below 34% w. basement air 68*F. using R-10 (2"XPS) mainly at/above grade areas. Only safe to 25%RH w. R-5 (1"XPS) using Jan., Nov., Dec., temps for your location in China; http://www.chinasage.info/maps/jiangxi.htm

Keep in mind the 2-3 month lag of slab temps (may need heat to warm slab) behind surface temps for summer air condensation; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...g-your-basment

Steel studs are fine, w, precautions mentioned, no vapor barrier paint--- only latex, Fig. 12; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ts?full_view=1

Air seal every 10' for fire; top plates also. no gap at insulation/f.b., F.b. the rims, ADA the drywall; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wall-approach/

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 07-28-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
rezza (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

vapor barrier

Gary, you do realize the OP is in China don't you.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #9

vapor barrier

hahah nice one Greg, Your right i am diffidently rock n the boat by trying to build a North American home to our standard construction practice. But i need to provide my clients here a well built home . So i thank you fro your advice . But still i need to ask . Would you apply a vapor barrier or not?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 564

vapor barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll
Really cannot say, since majority of the structures in China, are so cheaply built, they tend to fall down during a earthquake.
Is that fact or your biased opinion on Chinese products?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

vapor barrier

greg -

Many uniformed people have no idea of China and the possible construction benefits/products.

There some very fine huge projects (4 to 10 blocks square) there. In Kunming, a small SW Chinese city of about 2 to 5 million, I saw blocks of typical Chinese apartments. The buildings were 5 to 15 stories made from reinforced concrete or reinforced concrete block.

The particular unit I was in was on about the 5th floor. It had large balcony with a brick dog house. The bathroom had 2 toilet areas - one was a $7000 TOTO with automatic lid, ventilation and stereo and the adjacent area was the traditional "bomb site" toilet. - No idea how they managed to vent it.

They have access to almost all international construction products AND the money to pay for them. It is the largest auto manufacturer, but no Chinese cars are exported because of the Chinese demand. Buick Shanghai and now Ford are there trying to catch up to Mercedes, BMW and Audi.

Because of the legendary love or tradition many people (usually in travel stories) do choose to live the old way. You can also get some great pizzas in Shanghai or get caught in a 6 lane traffic jam of imported Mercedes & BMWs at 1:00 AM in some modern areas of Beijing.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
creeper (07-28-2013), djlandkpl (07-28-2013), TheEplumber (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

vapor barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Is that fact or your biased opinion on Chinese products?
News stories of seeing multitude of buildings that have fallen over during land slides and earthquakes, and now the state of the Olympic village from non-maintenance of the structures.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

vapor barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezza View Post
hahah nice one Greg, Your right i am diffidently rock n the boat by trying to build a North American home to our standard construction practice. But i need to provide my clients here a well built home . So i thank you fro your advice . But still i need to ask . Would you apply a vapor barrier or not?
You could probably utilize the info that Gary posted, but you have to adapt it for the area of the country you live in, to what would be close to the weather variances here in the U.S..
Old 07-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,032

vapor barrier

Greg, yes I gave temperature averages for 3 coldest months in China at his specific city.

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 07-28-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Easier to read and understand.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 606

vapor barrier

Rezza, I think you need to consult local builders to determine best practices in that area. Certainly you will receive different opinions when you question multiple "experts" on any subject, but certainly methods have evolved that work best in that area. It is dangerous to mix methods intended for one area and use it blindly for different situations. I certainly do not have knowledge to be giving you advice on your situation. The hot humid summer is a little similar to southeast USA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Va...er_replace.jpg But again, the situation is different, because homes in the southeast USA will typically be wood or brick veneer, rather than concrete.

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
rezza (07-29-2013)