Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

using the wrong molding?

went with 2 long pieces of molding across the top, a 45 degree lap joint (?) connects them.

the molding i purchased has a tapered edge. it is pointing down on the top piece and to your left on the vertical piece. i beveled the edge of the vertical piece to avoid having to miter the top pieces (i need to shorten this vertical piece). i initially tried to miter the top pieces, breaking the long run across the top, and it didn't look right.

i have three sections for screens (2 of 3 pictured below), so the second section will not have the tapered edges on the inside. 3 questions-

should i break the 16' top and bottom pieces into sections and miter each screen section?

or should I continue with the beveled vertical pieces, avoiding the miters?

and finally, can i continue with the tapered molding, or should I purchase new molding?

thanks so much!
(you'll notice in the old bottom pic that I initially used miter cuts).

Last edited by joetab24; 01-29-2011 at 12:55 PM.
joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #2

using the wrong molding?

Flat stock 1x 4's or 5's would be simpler to work with instead of using base molding with a profile. It would eliminate the joining issues you seem to have there.
Ron.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #3

using the wrong molding?

is it just a matter of preference or am I doing this incorrectly? should I go wider with the vertical piece, so that I cover more of the end of the door casing? just trying to get this straight before I start making a bunch of cuts... thanks so much! I may actually get this project done by the spring
Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

using the wrong molding?

Are you trying to cover all the pressure treated lumber? If you are, you apply the interior pieces first(like the door jamb position). Then you apply the face pieces to cover the edges.
The picture shows the face piece butting up to the door stop. Typically the door trim(face frame material) covers the jamb edge.
You're using the wrong terminology in the picture. Partly because you didn't put the screen door in a typical jamb. In your case what's orientated like a jamb is actually a stop for the door. So you actually have a face frame piece butted to a stop piece. The stop piece should be ripped to come even with the pressure treated wood. There should be another flat stock piece on the other side of the pressure treated wood you're using as a door frame. The face frame piece should cover both edges. You usually have the face frame piece 1/4" narrower to leave a reveal of 1/8" on each side.
Look at the trim work in the house and use that as a guide.
Or you can leave no reveal and cap it to the ends. Your call.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #5

using the wrong molding?

thanks ron