Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Urine Smell


I purchased a house 2 months ago. Express purpose: buy/fix/flip. It had been broken into prior to purchase. Some zero percenter's and/or their pit bulls had pis**ed on the then existing carpet. Despite the fact that the place is now gutted, the smell lingers. Apparently it penetrated the carpet in some places and got down to the wood floor underneath. Anyone have a clue how to neutralize the smell? I'm concerned that when it comes to installing new carpet, this problem will come back to haunt me. Some people here who have run into the same thing have reassured me that once I close things back up/paint, etc. The smell will go away. I'm not sure... Thanks.

RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Urine Smell


We had a similar situation. I ended up using shellac on the floor to seal the smell in. It worked fine.
(although with the pad and carpet on top, we probably would have not smelled it any more anyways, but.... better safe than angry wife.)

DM

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DangerMouse For This Useful Post:
RMCarner (12-08-2010)
Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Urine Smell


Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
We had a similar situation. I ended up using shellac on the floor to seal the smell in. It worked fine.
(although with the pad and carpet on top, we probably would have not smelled it any more anyways, but.... better safe than angry wife.)DM

That's a great suggestion! I've used shellac for years as a furniture refinisher to serve as a inter-medium layer to keep contaminants from bleeding through the lacquer top-coat. What do you recommend: a gallon of Zinzler's maybe cut 50% with denatured alcohol and just pour it over the floor?
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
40+yrs Paint Trades
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 137
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Urine Smell


There's an enzyme cleaner that works wonders. I use it on my rental properties when a tenant has a wayward dog or cat. Sometimes 2-3 applications are required.

http://www.odorgone.com/



Available at Costco and similar products are available at Janitorial supply shops.

I've also painted wood floors with Kilz, to seal out the smell.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoz49 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (12-17-2012), RMCarner (12-08-2010)
Old 12-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Urine Smell


We tried (I believe it was called) Urine-B-Gone but the smell of THAT about made me sick, so I went with shellac.
I just used Bullseye, full 'strength' with a roller.

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Urine Smell


Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz49 View Post
There's an enzyme cleaner that works wonders. I use it on my rental properties when a tenant has a wayward dog or cat. Sometimes 2-3 applications are required.

http://www.odorgone.com/



Available at Costco and similar products are available at Janitorial supply shops.

I've also painted wood floors with Kilz, to seal out the smell.
Thanks for the link to this product. I also have rentals and will check it out. In the meantime, I'm gonna also take Danger Mouses's suggestion and slather the exposed areas with a shellac based material. I think I have a gallon of Bullseye in the shop. If not, I'll pick one up at a box store. I can't stand the smell. You'd think after being in the space for over a month working one would get used to it... But it ain't happening.
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 156
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Urine Smell


My house had the same problem, there were actually areas of the subfloor discolored from the urine. Nasty. The house reeked even after all the carpet had been removed. We primed the entire subfloor with kilz and the smell was totally gone. It sucked to do, but was worth it! The smell was so bad the first time we viewed the house we went around and opened the windows!

Evan
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Urine Smell


Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx4u View Post
My house had the same problem, there were actually areas of the subfloor discolored from the urine. Nasty. The house reeked even after all the carpet had been removed. We primed the entire subfloor with kilz and the smell was totally gone. It sucked to do, but was worth it! The smell was so bad the first time we viewed the house we went around and opened the windows. Evan
\

LOL about opening the windows. It was 27 degrees here today and I opened a window. I'll try sealing off the floors that are now exposed. I can see stains on the wood that must be from the piss leaching through the carpet. Thanks.
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 275
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Urine Smell


I typically just remove the subflooring that is covered in urine.
__________________
Everything I state on this forum is an opinion I have developed based on my experience and research as a professional.
wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Urine Smell


Quote:
Originally Posted by wnabcptrNH View Post
I typically just remove the subflooring that is covered in urine.
No sub-flooring to remove. I'm staring at tongue and grove pine..
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 275
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Urine Smell


Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCarner View Post
No sub-flooring to remove. I'm staring at tongue and grove pine..
You can "cover up" a smell but it doesnt mean its gone. Wood soaks in odor and its hard to get it out. Least thats my experience.
__________________
Everything I state on this forum is an opinion I have developed based on my experience and research as a professional.
wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Urine Smell


Quote:
Originally Posted by wnabcptrNH View Post
You can "cover up" a smell but it doesnt mean its gone. Wood soaks in odor and its hard to get it out. Least thats my experience.
You haven't said what you have done other than remove a sub-floor? Two suggestions that have worked for others on this list: sealing off odor with a shellac based sealer, and using a product like Odor Done.
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 275
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Urine Smell


Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCarner View Post
You haven't said what you have done other than remove a sub-floor? Two suggestions that have worked for others on this list: sealing off odor with a shellac based sealer, and using a product like Odor Done.

Other than removing the flooring, I would get an enzyme to kill the acidity of the urine.
__________________
Everything I state on this forum is an opinion I have developed based on my experience and research as a professional.
wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 112
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Urine Smell


Quote:
Originally Posted by wnabcptrNH View Post
Other than removing the flooring, I would get an enzyme to kill the acidity of the urine.
There's a company nearby that specializes in professional cleaning products to the trades like Paul Davis and the like. One time, I had a furnace puff in one of my buildings. I wouldn't wish the consequences of one of these on an enemy -btw.. I was able to purchase some chemical sponges and a special solvent that dealt with the oily soot residue, which migrated up into all of the apartments. What a deal that was! Anyway, I'll call them and see what they are selling to the Trades.
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Urine Smell


We had this problem with our rental, the urine was even in the dry wall. We ended up spraying the enzyme stuff AND repainting. Worked like a charm.

superwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad smell in crawl space. John_W General DIY Discussions 34 06-03-2014 01:57 PM
Smell when boiler runs? dave12345 HVAC 13 11-11-2013 09:08 AM
Smell coming from all floor registers. John_W HVAC 9 06-27-2010 10:57 AM
Urine smell around dryer juliadc Appliances 4 05-30-2010 08:49 AM
Drywall problems in new house BettyCv Building & Construction 39 05-28-2010 02:51 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.