Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
rik

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Unsupported counter top

My Mom had new cabinets and countertop put in some years ago. She has had a persistent crack in the grout and the countertop to back splash joint. Previous repair guys had regrouted the joint but it always cracks again.

While looking at it, I found that the counter top will flex back there which means there is no support along that back edge. Easy enough, I thought, pull out the dishwasher and put in a support.

That is when I found that the countertop edge design does not allow for the dishwasher to be removed. There just isn't enough clearance. Tried to lift the countertop just enough but found that it is glued in place. This is going to be a very big problem if/when she needs a new dishwasher.

Other than debuilding the whole countertop in that area, does anyone have any suggestions? I can't get under the counter top to put in a brace. For now I'm going to use a color matched caulk and hope it will offer enough stretch to stay in place and have her move the appliances she keeps there.

rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Unsupported counter top

it should have been caulked and not grouted anyway. Just be sure the gap is big enough for the caulk to work

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
rik

Unsupported counter top

Agreed Bob.

Yes, there is plenty of space for caulk. In fact, it is at least double now from what the original space was.

I'm thinking that the only way to get in there is to come from the backside which is the living room. I was just hoping to not have to add in a drywall repair to the job.

Why can't people do things right the first time? There's a 4 foot run on unsupported counter top. Any installer worth his salt should have known there would be a problem.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #4

Unsupported counter top

rik, is there no way that you can slide a piece of whatever, maybe 3/4" plywood or something up behind the countertop? Even if you had to do it in pieces. If you could get something up to screw to the studs it would help, no?
Can you get a pic?
Silicone would be a good idea instead of grout. Not just for the flexibility, which here would seem to be paramount, but also for the water resistance.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #5

Unsupported counter top

Can you take a router and take off enough of countertop edge so the dishwasher can come out? How much too low is it? Sure new flooring wasnt added afterwards which made it too high??
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
rik

Unsupported counter top

It is both counter top and floor. The floor was tiled up to the old cabinets/dishwasher years ago. It is Mexican tile and fairly thick. The new dishwasher was put in at the same time as the new countertop and new cabinets. I'd have to remove almost a half inch to get the dishwasher out so trimming the countertop really isn't an option.

The company that put in the cabinets and countertop should have raised the cabinets so they were at the level they'd be if they were on top of the tile. Thankfully the dishwasher is only a few years old so it will be a while before she has to figure out how to get it out and a new one in. She has plenty of extra tile so we could remove floor tiles to make room but the grout and tile will likely not match up well.

In the meantime, I caulked the crack. If it continues to split, I'll go in from the backside (the living room) to add the brace and then do a drywall repair.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Chicago, IL

Unsupported counter top

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
That is when I found that the countertop edge design does not allow for the dishwasher to be removed. There just isn't enough clearance. Tried to lift the countertop just enough but found that it is glued in place. This is going to be a very big problem if/when she needs a new dishwasher.
Have you checked to determine if the DW's legs' screw adjustments will allow you to lower the DW sufficiently to allow removal?

----------

Home Inspection: ""A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
rik

Unsupported counter top

Yes. With the adjustment screws all the way up, I still need close to half an inch more.