Unplugging Refrigerator - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 95

Unplugging Refrigerator

I have a refrigerator that is only in use for a few months each year. I don't like paying the electric bill for all that down time but I've been told that in the long run it would cost me more to unplug it a few times a year because I'd be shortening the life of the compressor.
True? Or an urban legend fostered by the power companies??

Advertisement

RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,514

Unplugging Refrigerator

I unplug my fridge at the cottage every year for eight months over the winter. For a week or two probably not but for a month or more no problem. The compressor goes on and off several times a day I don't see the logic behind that arguement.

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Unplugging Refrigerator

Hey RCrosby257.

If not being plugged in caused harm to a refrigerator then all those brand new appliances waiting to be sold would be in danger!

The only issue I know of concerning compressor damage has to do with laying down a unit so that liquid coolant or compressor oil flows into the cylinder. Starting up a unit before that liquid would naturally drain back where it belongs can cause problems.

I wouldn't worry about unplugging the fridge when you don't need it.

I hope this helps,
HDNewf.
HDNewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Unplugging Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrosby257 View Post
I have a refrigerator that is only in use for a few months each year. I don't like paying the electric bill for all that down time but I've been told that in the long run it would cost me more to unplug it a few times a year because I'd be shortening the life of the compressor.
True? Or an urban legend fostered by the power companies??
What nonsense! Unplug it!
Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Unplugging Refrigerator

the most critical time on anything is when it starts including a compressor,put it to sleep if you leave the door open to air it out the gasket might expand ...so when you go to reuse it the door might not be tight...tie a rope around it 24hrs prior to start up to compress the door onto the gasket...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Unplugging Refrigerator

i don't know about unplugging, but i left an old jc penny or wards freezer outside for almost 30 yrs before i replaced it, and it was off for several months each year due to cold (fairbanks, ak). now and then a chinook would blow in and it would have to get plugged in for a few days. after nearly 30 yrs of such abuse, i replaced it before it failed whilst full of food. after sitting outside for about 4 yrs now, unplugged all year, i still use it to freeze water jugs before we collect salmon in the summer. damn thing just won't quit. my new freezer sits outside too; works every spring.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 95

Unplugging Refrigerator

Thanks to all who replied. Very helpful. I suspected as much, but the person that told me to keep it running year round manages an appliance warehouse, so I thought I should check it out.
The next time I leave it alone for a long spell, I'll unplug, clean it out, and leave the door ajar. Will also watch for gasket seal when I start it up again.
Happy Thanksgiving All!!!

Advertisement

RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote