Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Unique Wall Texture

In my house, the walls have a unique texture that appears to have been made with a sea sponge. I have tried to duplicate it to no avail, using sponges, latex casts of the original, etc. I am using medium texture compound.

This is in the actual plater, and not done with paint.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to duplicate this? There are cracks in the wall I need to fix.

Also, could it be a brush that made the original texture?

Any help or ideas is appreciated!
Dan

dcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Unique Wall Texture

One of those problems with old plaster work. Every palsterer's textures were different, even the "standard" stomps and swirls depending on the condition of his individual tools. Some guys even made their own "special" items to set their work apart from the crowd. The only thing I have ever run across on a job that was even remotely like the picture had much more pronounced relief in it, but you may be able to soften that by using a thinner mix. We matched it with a technique recommended by a local paint supplier. Loosely crumple a couple of sheets of newspaper, then put them inside a typical thin plastic dry cleaning bag, roll a coat of mud on the surface, then use the bag to imprint it. It took a couple of tries to get the proper mud mix, and a feel for how hard to press the "tool", but the repairs blended in very well. Worth a try.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 07-28-2007 at 09:29 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote