Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #1

Share |

Under cabinet range vent mounting problem

Hi All! I am new to DIY chat room and hopefully I can find some help here.

I am installing a under cabinet range vent, previously I have one of those microwave which was not good at all in suction, so I just bought a new vent.

The problem I have is that the mounting holes on the vent is like right at the edge of the cabinet particle board, so I am not sure what's the best way to mount it without drilling new holes on the vent or too much alteration to the cabinet.

Below are some pic I took, I hope someone can give me some suggestion. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by biosfreak; 07-14-2009 at 05:16 PM.
biosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #2

I feel your pain. I installed a new vent hood on Memorial day. Two trips back to Lowes. I drilled new holes in ours for the same reason you are having a problem. Particle board will not hold the vent. Evaluate the situation and do what you have to do. If there is a stack vent that won't line up with the new hood-- go buy the charcoal filters. Our old vent hood was thirty years old and there was no way to align the old Venta Hood brand with the new Braun style without chopping up the top cabinet. We would rather change charcoal filters than live with a " smiley face" cut in the upper cabinet. The old stack vent -- it covers the original hole!

PLAIN O TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

There is usually a lot of open space inside these units. Drill new holes where you need them and mount the fan.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #4

I already have existing 7" duct venting out from my previous microwave vent, so the only thing left is mounting it under the cabinet.

I am trying to avoid drilling any holes on the vent if possible. The warranty always said it is void if anything is changed, so I am not really sure if I want to give up the warranty. I got the Zephyr AK2100A, the review looks ok, but I just want to make sure I got it covered in case something goes wrong. So I am more willing to do stuff to the cabinet instead to make the cabinet fit the vent rather than the vent fit the cabinet. The vent weight about 40lb, so may be I am thinking about getting some brackets mounting from the wall?
biosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote