Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Umm.. what wire ripped off the house?

As you fellas may have heard there was a bit of a freak snow / ice storm in New England this past weekend. Lots of trees down, power lines, carnage etc.

I was one of the lucky ones - I just have a bunch of trees in my yard, almost everything is still attached.

My power line is still attached (no power though)
My cable line is still attached (I get internet/TV/phone through this so good)
Gas / water is obviously underground.

Whatever the last wire is - it ripped off the house.
It's gotta be the phone wire right? What else would come to the house over the air?

I've never used it - never plan on it. I guess my only concern is if the next owner wants to use it. I thought about calling the phone company, but I pictured the guy saying "so what you are saying is that you don't get phone service from us, you don't ever intend on getting phone service from us, but you want us to come attach the wire to your house"?

Do these things have 12V in them? Something higher? The wire itself is intact, just ripped off the house by that insulated ring. Any reason I wouldn't attach it myself?

Okay I think that's it

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,524

Without a picture it would be a guess but phone sounds resonable. Phone cable would normally be a two wire cable that looks very much like super sized lamp cord.

gregzoll (11-02-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,250

Sorry Pete, but need pic's. Follow the line to the pole and see what it looks like. If it is a black rectangular box, it may be telephone. If it is a silver or grayish square, with the wires coming from the bottom, could be catv. If the wire is round, may be coax, if flat, could be telephone.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

OK I'll snap a pic when I go back there. Probably tomorrow. Definitely not coax, traced the coax and it's still attached.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote