Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

UGLY MAIL Box

I am new to this forum, and I have a question I do not see addressed elsewhere. My mailbox makes me look whitetrash. When I drive around nice neighborhoods in San Antonio, I think, "Nice house, nice gate, nice gutter, beautiful lawn....Ugly mail box!" Unfortunately, that includes my house.

Every morning when I go to work, and every evening I return, I look at that half rotten post and rusty box, and it upsets me. I know it is trivial, but I have put so much work into my house and yard--and there is that UGLY mail box. I want to replace it, but I don't have the time...not even the time to go Home Depot..ing. Does anyone know of people or companies that replace mailboxes in San Antonio---and won't overcharge?

Lynn

sckree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
Thumbs up

UGLY MAIL Box

Hi Lynn,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a Texan but I've known a few and really liked them. The one thing I know is they are usually willing to give you their opinion, especially if it's a helpful one To the point...a "handyman service" could do that job very easily and your neighbors could possible recommend a local person that they are pleased with.

Or, take a trip to Home Depot.com or any big box diy store where they sell a variety of 1 piece poly mailbox that simply slip over your existing pole.

All you would have to do is remove the old box and slip the new one over the post (if it's still solid). Add a few screws and the job is done. I know you said the post is half rotten but I'm hoping that problem is only cosmetic. Otherwise you'll need a new post set in concrete.

BTW, you mailbox isn't trivial...it's often the first thing visitors see when approaching your house and can add greatly to your homes curb appeal. I wouldn't skimp on a cheap box, get a nice one that will last.

Best wishes,

Steve

sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote