Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ugly Driveway - Need Good, Cheap Fix

House was built in 1978, and I believe it's the original driveway. It's pitted here and there, and is discolored in shades of grey and rust all over.

I called some concrete companies for resurfacing and heard estimates around $2000. I looked up staining (thinking that an all-over stain would help) and got only slightly lower. I read about painting and that seemed to be a bad idea.

Will professional cleaning help get up the stains? How much should I expect to pay for an average sized two car driveway? Any other ideas of what I can do? I really can't spend more than a couple hundred bucks, but it's such an eyesore that I need to do SOMETHING.

Thanks!

fixitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

Can't help with the pitting, but this stuff removed rust stains (from iron in well water) from our asphalt driveway. It will probably take more than one jug.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41z4BFMS8LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Could the gray stains be mold or mildew? If so chlorine bleach may help.

NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

Post some photos.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #4

I don't know about this, But if you want to know then post your problem in detail, Post here some pictures here. It'will be very helpful for me to give you answer. So keep try to post here in detail.
Phoenix Homes for Sale

Last edited by Makenna; 04-23-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Makenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #5
NACE Coating Inspector

Surecrete Design Products has a product called Broom Coat. It goes on at less than 1/8". This is an easy and cheap fix but i dont think a couple of hundred bucks will get you very far on a two car driveway even if you were to use a concrete stain. i think that Quick Crete makes a product like this too. call some pool builders or paint stores to get some contacts for some deck guys. acrylic concrete coatings can range from $2.00/sqft and up. you can stain it yourself and save on the labor cost, you will need two coats and i dont think that a couple of hundred will be enough. do not use paint, it can not handle foot traffic or hot tires.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote