DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

UGH! A lesson for new Pre-Hung Doors

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  javan 
#1 ·
We are renovating our house and I am almost complete. Just finishing up the trim, molding and some door replacements. We opted for prehung-pre-primed mdf doors from lowes. Replaced 9 doors in all. there were some doors that we wanted to be solid core, some hollow. During the installation, I messed up and put a solid where a hollow should have gone and a hollow where a solid should have gone. the doors were installed, trimed out, etc.

Solution: Seemed easy enough. Just take doors off hinges and swap. Doors are same size, same swing etc. Easy as pie right? Doors are 28" LH.

Problem: 28" doors? But when you put a tape across each door, one measures 27-7/8" and the other 27-1/2" 'Oy! One fits easy, one will not fit. To add insult to injury, the hinges were not in the same location either, so it involves more chiseling the hinges into place. REgarding the width issue, on one door, I have to remove the trim and try and push the jamb out to fit. Additionally, with the different locations of the hinges, the stops do not work for one door, so these need to be removed and reinstalled.

Lesson: Be sure the right door is in the correct location!

#3 · (Edited)
Hindsite is always 20/20

I had thought of that, but it would have involved removing the trim from both doors, one of which, the trim was already finished (nail holes filled sanded painted, etc.). I knew the doors would not be identical, but I did not think they would that far off...

LIve and learn.

Oh, regarding just leaving it? That was my thought, but my S.O. wanted a solid core door to the bathroom.

#6 ·
Make a small hole and fill them with PU foam from a can...:shifty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.