Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Another DIY Zombie

Share |

UGH! A lesson for new Pre-Hung Doors

We are renovating our house and I am almost complete. Just finishing up the trim, molding and some door replacements. We opted for prehung-pre-primed mdf doors from lowes. Replaced 9 doors in all. there were some doors that we wanted to be solid core, some hollow. During the installation, I messed up and put a solid where a hollow should have gone and a hollow where a solid should have gone. the doors were installed, trimed out, etc.

Solution: Seemed easy enough. Just take doors off hinges and swap. Doors are same size, same swing etc. Easy as pie right? Doors are 28" LH.

Problem: 28" doors? But when you put a tape across each door, one measures 27-7/8" and the other 27-1/2" 'Oy! One fits easy, one will not fit. To add insult to injury, the hinges were not in the same location either, so it involves more chiseling the hinges into place. REgarding the width issue, on one door, I have to remove the trim and try and push the jamb out to fit. Additionally, with the different locations of the hinges, the stops do not work for one door, so these need to be removed and reinstalled.

Lesson: Be sure the right door is in the correct location!
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #2

I would have just removed the entire door and jam or just left it.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Another DIY Zombie

Hindsite is always 20/20

I had thought of that, but it would have involved removing the trim from both doors, one of which, the trim was already finished (nail holes filled sanded painted, etc.). I knew the doors would not be identical, but I did not think they would that far off...

LIve and learn.

Oh, regarding just leaving it? That was my thought, but my S.O. wanted a solid core door to the bathroom.

Last edited by javan; 08-08-2008 at 08:01 AM. Reason: more content
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #4

As soon as the hinges didn't line up I would have went for another option. I might have even bought an unhung door to replace the one that wanted to be solid core.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Another DIY Zombie

I had thought of that last night, but the time and money to drive to the store and back (60 minutes) to get the door would prohibit that idea. I am seriously trying to oreduce the amount of unnecessary travel these days.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #6

Make a small hole and fill them with PU foam from a can...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Another DIY Zombie

All done! Took me about an hour to strip the trim, push out the jam and reinstall the trim. Door works great now!