Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Coltzguy

Rewards Points: 10

Tyvek for Attic?

I am in the process of adding an addition onto my house. Part of that process was to modify the back bedroom and create a hallway. In order to do that, I had to remove the ceiling from the back bedroom.
That is where my problem lies....insulation was installed in 1948 and has since turned to a "white powder" that, much to my wife's dismay, has gotten all over the house. I had it tested for asbestos and found none present. I removed about 50 bags full of this material, which took care of half the house.
Since I had some Tyvek left over from my addition, I was thinking about laying it over the remaining 1/2 of the attic and stapling it onto the rafters, over the old insulation and newer insulation that was installed in 1990 - (the old insulation has pink fibreglass over in - unfaced).
Do you think I should do this to keep the remaining dust from making it's way down into the house? Will it allow the house to "breathe"? Which way should I place the Tyvek printing (towards the roof or towards the lower floors)?

coltzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Tyvek for Attic?

I don't know for sure but if it doesn't breathe well it may cause condensation problems between the ceiling and the tyvek during heating and cooling seasons. Could lead to mold. Just my two cents, I could be wrong.

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tyvek for Attic?

actually tyvek does have a attic ''wrap'' technigue not sure if it fits your application

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Constru...atticwrap.html
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote