Two Car Garage And Workshop - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Two car garage and workshop

Hi new member here. We just bought a house and I need info on how to set up a workshop in a two car garage, and still have room for the two cars. I will back them out when I need the extra room but most of the time they will be inside. On the bright side both are smaller, one a Chevy Tracker is quite small so that helps.

The garage is finished with drywall on walls and ceiling, and there are some electrical outlets, I figure I will run more and also add more lights over the work bench. Right now since I do not have any storage available everything is in boxes and I am storing my Tracker at a friends house until I can move stuff and organize it so I can get both cars inside.

It would be nice to be able to have the whole garage but that is out since the cars have to be parked inside. I need some kind of workshop and work bench plan that is small but has a vise and room to work and also a place for my ShopSmith and large double Craftsman tool box.

Advertisement

Gomezy3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Easy way to figure it out, is by emptying the garage of everything, pull the vehicles in, and then look at the "big" picture. I have my work bench & cabinet on the right side, since it was the only place to put them in mine. Putting in a shop smith, takes up a lot of room in itself, especially if not wanting to "store" it out of the way.

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Gomezy3k (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Easy way to figure it out, is by emptying the garage of everything, pull the vehicles in, and then look at the "big" picture. I have my work bench & cabinet on the right side, since it was the only place to put them in mine. Putting in a shop smith, takes up a lot of room in itself, especially if not wanting to "store" it out of the way.
I figure when I do use the Smith I will pull the cars out and use it. Otherwise it will stay against the wall. Thinking of putting shelves or cabinets or something over it so I can store stuff over the thing.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

Besides parking the cars in the garage, I also recommend opening the doors and getting in and out of both. Once you figure that out, you can figure out your space.

Watch out for the door swing! Lots of people make the mistake of filling up the garage with cabinets without thinking about having to open up the doors of the car. In some places you may not want cabinets, just open space where the car doors will protrude.

I have everything in my garage mounted on wheels or castors... even the shelving units. It gives me maximum flexibility to work with a small space, and I can roll uneeded items out to the driveway while I work.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxPaulCPxx For This Useful Post:
Gomezy3k (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPaulCPxx View Post
Besides parking the cars in the garage, I also recommend opening the doors and getting in and out of both. Once you figure that out, you can figure out your space.

Watch out for the door swing! Lots of people make the mistake of filling up the garage with cabinets without thinking about having to open up the doors of the car. In some places you may not want cabinets, just open space where the car doors will protrude.

I have everything in my garage mounted on wheels or castors... even the shelving units. It gives me maximum flexibility to work with a small space, and I can roll uneeded items out to the driveway while I work.

Thats a good idea.. be nice to roll stuff around. I figure if I put cabinets or shelves up they are going to be above the door swing, and put stuff I do not use that much on them.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

The concept of a, "Workshop" in a 2 car garage is subjective to the extent of the shop. Unless you detail the tool list, answers are not relevant.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The concept of a, "Workshop" in a 2 car garage is subjective to the extent of the shop. Unless you detail the tool list, answers are not relevant.
Ron

Well the biggest things I have is are a Shopsmith which is several tools in one and a big two section tool box. Unlike most of you I imagine my 'shop" would be considered minimal since most of the tools are hand tools, (small jig saw table, small drum sander- it will fit on my work bench, The rest are small jigsaw, circular saw, routers - also small router table, hand jig saw, etc). Eventually I would like to include more tools but presently that is what I have.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is a forum specific to garages/workshops.
It's called, "the garage journal board". Check that out.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote