Which TV Shows Would You Recommend To Actually Learn About Home Renovation? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which TV shows would you recommend to actually learn about home renovation?

There's a whole variety of home improvement shows out there. Some are mainly for entertainment while others focus more on tips and technique. Are there shows you would recommend where the viewer will actually learn useful information about how to do renovations like tile, cabinet, plumbing, etc.

The problem I have with most shows is they totally gloss over or leave out necessary details. For example, when tiling the floor they never seem to talk about marking chalk lines, the best ways to do that, dealing with layout issues, etc. When they show a floor being tiled, it's just spread on the thinset and plop the tiles down. I'm not expecting a show to cover 100% of the technique in full detail, but I would like a show to at least mention all the details you will typically have to worry about when doing a project.

Advertisement

warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

There really are none imo.

At best they show you just enough to be dangerous.

The purpose of these shows are to get you thinking you can do it and then sell you product.

Advertisement

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-10-2012 at 08:37 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
chrisn (07-11-2012), gregzoll (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

None. You want to learn about home renovation, talk to various trades, participate actively on forums like this one or others like Terry Love's. Beware that the various videos on DIY TV's website, Youtube, etc have to be taken with a grain of salt. The best books I have in my library are ones that my father gave me, that my mom's dad recommended, due to grandpa was a GC who built a lot of homes up in Peoria County IL and other places, that to this date are still standing with no problems.

It is a learning process, knowing what your limits are, and getting to know your contractors that you call for stuff, and allowing them to also show you tricks that you as a home owner can do, without having to always call them for the smallest thing.

Another is if your area offers classes at the local community college on stuff that is free, and you are a Novice Novice, or just needing to polish skills check them out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote