Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 524

Trying to understand insulation for my basement

I am still in the design/planning stages of my basement. I will be finishing off right around 1100sqft, which is just unfinished at the moment. Maybe my question is dumb and I am missing some point - but it has to do with R values.

I am debating which way to go: the foam/poly panels attached to the concrete, then framing; or frame 1" off the wall, use a plastic vapor barrier, and put in batts of insulation.

The insulated panels have low R-values, like this one that has a R value of 5.

Being only a 5, will I get better insulating results just putting in batts of R-13 fiberglass, no? If this is true, why does anyone bother with foam at all if the fiberglass bats are better insulation at lower price per sqft? Or do people use a combination of the two?

P.S. I live outside the Chicago area, my basement has no moisture issues, the concrete has been cured 8 years.

hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote