Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Trying to remove flush mount finish nails

I am trying to remove an overhead kitchen cabinet however the installer nailed it to the frame of the cabinet on the right. The cabinet I am trying to remove is deeper than the other cabinet so the finish nails are in the middle of the cabinet wall that I am trying to remove.
I need to remove this cabinet so I can trim it to accommodate a refrigerator that is taller than the opening.
Can anyone suggest a way I can remove these trim nails? It is a small space to work in. I thought I could use a tap and drive the nail all the way throught the cabinet wall but its a struggle to try to work inside of the cabinet.
I was wondering if I could use a drill to force the finish nail through the cabinet wall.
Thanks for your help!
Paula

pms1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms1228 View Post
I am trying to remove an overhead kitchen cabinet however the installer nailed it to the frame of the cabinet on the right. The cabinet I am trying to remove is deeper than the other cabinet so the finish nails are in the middle of the cabinet wall that I am trying to remove.
I need to remove this cabinet so I can trim it to accommodate a refrigerator that is taller than the opening.
Can anyone suggest a way I can remove these trim nails? It is a small space to work in. I thought I could use a tap and drive the nail all the way throught the cabinet wall but its a struggle to try to work inside of the cabinet.
I was wondering if I could use a drill to force the finish nail through the cabinet wall.
Thanks for your help!
Paula
There is usually room between the cabinets on the top and bottom. Place shims between them and drive them up from the bottom and down from the top. You should see the frames separate. Continue until you can fit in a metal blade and cut the nails.
Remove the fasteners in the cabinet back first.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
pms1228 (03-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

there appears to be a very little space at the top but the bottom of the 2 cabinets are really tight. the only kind of shim i know about is wood and it would not fit between the space. is there a shim that has a very thin starting edge? (sorry i'm new at this.)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #4

there appears to be a very little space at the top but the bottom of the 2 cabinets are really tight. the only kind of shim i know about is wood and it would not fit between the space. is there a shim that has a very thin starting edge? (sorry i'm new at this.)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Then just start at the top. As you do, the face frames will separate and you'll be able to tap in shims from the front.
Then do sell plastic shims that resemble wood ones. I just bought a package at the local Big box store.
Ron
Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

I agree with trying to seperate the cabinets enough to cut the nails. You can start to pry them apart with a painters tool:

And then use a hacksaw blade to cut the nails. You should only have to spread them about 1/16th".
rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #7

. . . or try a cat's paw. They have a very thin leading edge and are strong.
amen2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amen2u View Post
. . . or try a cat's paw. They have a very thin leading edge and are strong.

I assume the OP is trying to do this without destroying the trim work. A cat's paw will make a big mess trying to remove those small nails.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
is there a shim that has a very thin starting edge? (sorry i'm new at this.)
As Ron said, there are alternatives.

I just saw some "composite" shims for the first time at Home Depot yesterday, and they were less than $2. Going to pick some up next time. Perhaps the thin edge could be hammered even thinner?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #10

Just to clarify, the cat's paw is to initiate a separation for the shims to be introduced.

Besides, my dad always told me it was the workman and not just the tool the caused the mess.
amen2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Carpenter

Use a nail punch and hammer the nails all the way in until it clears the wall. Now you will only have small round holes that may or may not be noticeable when you reinstall it. If it pops out on the other side, cut it with a pair of heavy diagonal cutters or something.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)
dtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Just to clarify, the cat's paw is to initiate a separation for the shims to be introduced.

Besides, my dad always told me it was the workman and not just the tool the caused the mess.
My Dad said, "Use the right tool for the right job".
Ron
Old 03-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
DIY Hack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberhead View Post
I assume the OP is trying to do this without destroying the trim work. A cat's paw will make a big mess trying to remove those small nails.
I think amen2u was reffering to one of those combination bars, with a prybar on one end and paw on the other, and not a traditional cat's paw

Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
I think amen2u was reffering to one of those combination bars, with a prybar on one end and paw on the other, and not a traditional cat's paw

That's a pretty good talent.
What am I thinking now?
Ron
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsman View Post
Use a nail punch and hammer the nails all the way in until it clears the wall. Now you will only have small round holes that may or may not be noticeable when you reinstall it. If it pops out on the other side, cut it with a pair of heavy diagonal cutters or something.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

I'd be worried about splitting the trim by driving the head through all the way. I may have missed this info, but was it ever stated as to how wide this trim is? Driving a nail through an inch of material can easily split the material. Just my experience anyway.