Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Share |

Troy Bilt mower problem

people,

Its a self propelled, Troy Bilt. Hardly ever used, but from 2005. I pushed 3X the red rubber button, and you can tell it wasnt drawing up any gas. You know, the "empty air" feel. So, I figured, let me try simply pulling the rope to start, and in just 3 pulls, the mower starts. Yipieeeee!

Sooooo, I start cuting grass. For about say, 75 ' or so, and mower quits flat out. Man, what could it be?

I mean, maybe its time to yank the carb (float bowl) and inspect?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #2

Troy Bilt mower problem

Is there gas in the tank? When was the last time you used the mower? Grass cutting season is well under way. Any previous issues? The fact it started would mean the gas wasn't old. How did you store it over the Winter?
Did you check the air filter to see if it was clogged?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
noquacks (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Troy Bilt mower problem

Try running it with the gas cap slightly loose and see if that cures it. A clogged cap vent could cause it to stall, too.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rustyjames For This Useful Post:
noquacks (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #4

Troy Bilt mower problem

Thnaks, guys. Yes, I put in fresh gas just recently. But, no, I havent ben using it much other than that day I just started it to test. Come to think of it, I started it and after running it just for say, 5-10 seconds, I stopped it figuring hey, it works fine.

I will try that idea of loosening the cap.......gonna do it within the hour......

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

Troy Bilt mower problem

that 'empty air" button still bothers me.......
Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #6

Troy Bilt mower problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
that 'empty air" button still bothers me.......
Look at the primer bulb as you push it to see if there is gas being pushed to the carburator. If it's starting "cold", something must be getting to the carbs.
noquacks (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #7

Troy Bilt mower problem

Update:
Well, pulled it again 2 X, and started OK. Ran for 15-25 seconds strong, and died. Again.

So, I figured time to give it a heart transplant- yank carb. As I started, I removed the air filter- MAN, dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrty!! Geez, the pleated filter was so dirty, I couldnt believe it. BUT, I just didnt want to put that on clean and be done with it- no way. I continued and yanked the carb. C;leaned i t all nice- carb cleaner. removed the float bowl, cleaned the jets/pinholes, etc. Dirt in the bowl! Also, crudded up inside.

So, was too dark to test. I cant wait til tomorrow. I will let yous know!!

Thnaks!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #8

Troy Bilt mower problem

OK, mower starts with only 3 pulls. push button rubber thingy still doesnt work. Even after cleaning. I tested it off the housing and it does produce a vacuum/suction. The channel it sucks from also has been cleaned. But, still get that "empty air/no vacuum effect.

Oh, mower works fine after starting- mowed for about 5-10 minutes!

Should I just abandon the rubber prime button thing? Is it really necessary? Heck, 3 pulls- not so bad, eh?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Troy Bilt mower problem

Quote:
OK, mower starts with only 3 pulls. push button rubber thingy still doesnt work. Even after cleaning. I tested it off the housing and it does produce a vacuum/suction. The channel it sucks from also has been cleaned. But, still get that "empty air/no vacuum effect.

Oh, mower works fine after starting- mowed for about 5-10 minutes!

Should I just abandon the rubber prime button thing? Is it really necessary? Heck, 3 pulls- not so bad, eh?
You can abandon it by not using it, but you can't remove it from the system. Gas will leak out from the tank.
There will be a clog somewhere in the line if no gas is filling the primer bulb.
noquacks (08-02-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #10

Troy Bilt mower problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You can abandon it by not using it, but you can't remove it from the system. Gas will leak out from the tank.
There will be a clog somewhere in the line if no gas is filling the primer bulb.
Thanks, Ron. Yeah, guess what I menat was to abandon/ignore the primer as it stands- not yank it out. So, you say since no gas is filling the line, there should be a clog? Can you say which line? The fuel line from gas tank to carb? Cuz I inspected that while I did the rebiuld and it was clear..........unless Im confusing things.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #11

Troy Bilt mower problem

Quote:
Thanks, Ron. Yeah, guess what I menat was to abandon/ignore the primer as it stands- not yank it out. So, you say since no gas is filling the line, there should be a clog? Can you say which line? The fuel line from gas tank to carb? Cuz I inspected that while I did the rebiuld and it was clear..........unless Im confusing things.
The primer bulb is in the middle of the line. It comes out of the gas tank, enters the bulb and exits out the other side to the carb.
If it starts up the way it is, you should be good. Next time the the tank is empty, check for debris at the bottom of the tank. You can also disconnect the gasline from the bulb and try blowing it out with a bike pump and one of those needles you blow up basketballs with.
noquacks (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #12

Troy Bilt mower problem

good plan, and thanks for the encouragement. at least the mower works....