Troubleshooting A Garage Door Opener - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

troubleshooting a garage door opener

My Vemco by Stanley garage door opener will only operate when the button on the wall opener console or the button on the remote door opener is held down. The minute you release the pressure on the button, the door stops opening or closing. Any ideas on a fix?

Advertisement

danrhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Check the door safety sensors. There is a LED on each, (one is receiver, one is transmitter). The transmitter should stay lit at all times, the receiver LED should go out when something blocks the sensors. With the receiver light out, the only way to make the door go down is hold the button. If one or both is out, check alignment(aimed at each other), wires/connections, etc., if that does not help, bad sensor.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,044

I'm certainly not second guessing you "danrhughes", and I read your post three times, but- does this happen only when the door is being closed? OR, does it happen when either closing or opening? Bill is right about the sensors, but I usually see this problem of mis-aligned sensors only when the door is closing. It is a safety factor. But, IF you have to hold the wall console button, and/or the remote button down to close and open the door, and the sensors are aligned, then there is another problem. Maybe-it's time for new batteries. IF you have weak batteries, the signal may be weak going to the receiver in the opener itself and not locking in. Just a thought, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote