Trip To The Scrap Yard - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trip to the Scrap Yard

For the last 3.5 years I have been collecting scrap metal from the work on my house. I've kept every snip of copper, every 'quarter' from JBoxes, broken plumbing bits, aluminum, iron, whatever. I finally sorted it all out (from now on I'm keeping separate bins) and hauled it to the recycler.

Not only did I keep some junk out of the landfill, I made $201.50

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,296

Trip to the Scrap Yard

Ayuh,... You go girl,...

I've been a Scraper all my life...
Biggest trouble I have, is when I go to the scarp yard, My trailer has more in it when I get home, than it did when I left....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Trip to the Scrap Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
For the last 3.5 years I have been collecting scrap metal from the work on my house. I've kept every snip of copper, every 'quarter' from JBoxes, broken plumbing bits, aluminum, iron, whatever. I finally sorted it all out (from now on I'm keeping separate bins) and hauled it to the recycler.

Not only did I keep some junk out of the landfill, I made $201.50
good to hear. As long as it cost you less to get it there than what you got, you did a good thing for the environment and it didn't cost you anything. If you got more than it cost to take it there, it's like getting free money. I never argue about getting free money.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
uva uvam videndo variafit

Rewards Points: 500

Trip to the Scrap Yard

Scrap steel is going for about $240/ton (if it's clean). In 03 it was going for around $60/ton). It's amazing how the market changed and in just a few years (04-06 mostly). Structural steel used to run $350/ton from the mill. Now it's around $1,000/ton. Plywood, gas, plastic, and food all seem to be following the same path, although some not to the same extent. In a couple more years, it's gonna be hard to be a regular person.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,558

Trip to the Scrap Yard

We just did a clean up of the junk in the warehouse at work. $200 ton for what they call shred, old computer servers, cabinets and other assorted junk. Made over $1500. Some of it was scrap insulated wiring at $.45 pound. To bad I didn't get a cut.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Trip to the Scrap Yard

@ Bondo: Interesting post--around here you are only allowed to "take it in", they will NOT sell you anything that has entered the gate. You may see the perfect small piece of angle iron you need to finish up that special job, just lying there on the ground--but NO SALE.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Trip to the Scrap Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
@ Bondo: Interesting post--around here you are only allowed to "take it in", they will NOT sell you anything that has entered the gate. You may see the perfect small piece of angle iron you need to finish up that special job, just lying there on the ground--but NO SALE.
That doesn't make a lot of sense. They're gonna sell it to somebody. Why not charge you 3 times what they will get from a wholesale buyer and make a couple bucks?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

Trip to the Scrap Yard

Quote:
This was also my experience, but I didn't need anymore JUNK.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Trip to the Scrap Yard

"nap", your's is a good response, YES-they will sell it to someone higher up in the scrap metal chain for a price per ton, but could make a bit more monies from selling to the public. I didn't ask, but would think that some liabilities would be involved. I worked for two major industries for years and saw so much "usable" scrap metal(s) thrown away which could have been used by employees, but this material was not available to employees. I recently came (was bribed) out of retirement as a consultant by a construction company in a huge paper item plant and am now seeing this again. I've had conversations with the actual workers as to whether they see items thrown in the scrap metal(s) containers which they could use IF they could purchase them---overwhelming answers as to YES, they could use these. We're talking about small items here, pieces of good pipe, angle iron, no pressure vessel material, nothing with harmful residue on them or dangerous if having left the plant. So much waste in today's world.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Learning by Doing

Trip to the Scrap Yard

I had a crew come in a few years ago to replace all the supply valves for my steam radiators. They pulled off 12 bronze valves, bushings, etc that they piled into a box. I talked to the boss and asked to keep the scrap. He said, "Of course, it's yours to keep. But you have to tell they 'guys' you're keeping it. Usually, homeowners don't want it and they guys use it for beer money."
Old 02-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,296

Trip to the Scrap Yard

Quote:
"nap", your's is a good response, YES-they will sell it to someone higher up in the scrap metal chain for a price per ton, but could make a bit more monies from selling to the public. I didn't ask, but would think that some liabilities would be involved. I worked for two major industries for years and saw so much "usable" scrap metal(s) thrown away which could have been used by employees, but this material was not available to employees. I recently came (was bribed) out of retirement as a consultant by a construction company in a huge paper item plant and am now seeing this again. I've had conversations with the actual workers as to whether they see items thrown in the scrap metal(s) containers which they could use IF they could purchase them---overwhelming answers as to YES, they could use these. We're talking about small items here, pieces of good pipe, angle iron, no pressure vessel material, nothing with harmful residue on them or dangerous if having left the plant. So much waste in today's world.
Ayuh,... I'm a Welder, Fab'er, Build yer own, kinda guy,...
The Scrap yards I go to around here are pretty much "Mom, 'n Pop" type operations...
When I went to the steel yard last fall, I hauled in a trailer load of scarp, 'n got a hundred or so... While there, I spied a pile of house trailer frame "I" beam... Mostly 6' to 10' stuff... Spoke to the fella about it, 'n decided to return abit later, after the material had rotated through, as to get at it easier... Went back a week or so later, loaded up almost 100' of 10"x3" I beam, 'n give 'em back about the same money I'd gotten from 'im..
Junk stripped furnaces, for useable I beam,... Gotta Love it...

The other place takes non-ferrous metals,.. Fair prices locally, although Better money is an hour's haul...
Doin' my ODWoodboiler project, I had a 2" sweat ball valve, 'n needed threaded...
Need 4" of 2" copper, but could only buy 10' lengths,...
Quick trip across town, 'n I had Serveal pieces, of several sizes, of several grades of copper pipe/ tubing,...
They only charged me .10 over incoming price, 'n let me pick through a mountain of copper to find it...

I've got a couple loads of steel to go now, but waitin' for the snow to go, so's I can find it,...

Now,... As fer Dumpsters,...
I'm a Paver,.. We're the last 1s into jobsites, usually during "Clean Up"...
I'm quite Well known in the local trades, as the guy who will NOT walk passed a dumpster, without Lookin' in...
I've gotten Miles of every size, 'n shape of steel,... Tons, 'n Tons...
I've gotten Thousands of square feet of steel roofing/ sideing,... Acres, 'n Acres of it...
Every bit of it was Given to me for just askin' the Right person, the Right question,....
"Where's That goin'..??"....

Around here, the only payback for contractors is, it don't cost nothing for a scrap steel dumpster, but you're not paid for the steel either....
It's an even wash for the contractor to just Give it to me, as there's no minimum on the dumpster either...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Trip to the Scrap Yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... I'm a Welder, Fab'er, Build yer own, kinda guy,...
The Scrap yards I go to around here are pretty much "Mom, 'n Pop" type operations...
When I went to the steel yard last fall, I hauled in a trailer load of scarp, 'n got a hundred or so... While there, I spied a pile of house trailer frame "I" beam...
the more I thought about it, I suspect the mom and pop shops would me more likely to sell to a street customer. The big places may not want to mess with the hassle of retailing out a little here and a little there.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Trip to the Scrap Yard

Nice! Everyone can use some extra cash these days!

Advertisement

alongston is offline   Reply With Quote