Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Trex decking questions

hi to all, i am in the early stages of installling trex decking as a replacement for conventional wood decking. I have heard rumors that thils composite material is not recommended for extreme heat and direct sunshine for long periods of time. I live in central Ariz. so this is a concern to me. Any comments or advise on this would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

john young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trex decking questions

Do a search on the site for "Trex" & read some of the threads

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #3

Trex decking questions

I just read a really long post about trex and how it reacts badly to heat and sun. Something like "very disappointed in my trex deck" was the title.
howmanypeoplear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #4

Trex decking questions

I have 10 year old Everex composite decking. I live in Wisconsin, which admittedly has a lot less sun, but the deck gets 8-10 hours of sun several months of the year without it causing any problems.

Good luck.
dminden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

Trex decking questions

Sometime back, a group of Trex users were talking about getting together to sue Trex over their mishandling of the situation. I followed most of the posts and came to the conclusion that Trex ignored a lot of users and for some others, would only pay for the replacement. Eventually it came out that a certain manufacturer of their product had a bad run of the finish work. Trex would not even consider paying for the labor to re-install the replacement product. So the homeowner is stuck paying for labor twice.
Check out the other recommendations for decking. Trex deserves to be run out of business.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

Trex decking questions

Hi John_Young: I am a representative of Trex and I would like to assist in addressing your concern. In an independent study, Trex was comparable in surface temps to pressure treated boards. Trex is similar to wood and responds to heat in the same way. Darker colors of wood get hotter than lighter colors and Trex reacts in the same fashion. You may also want to visit your local Trex dealer to obtain some product samples if you have not done so already. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Brittany
Trex
BrittanyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #7

Trex decking questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyM View Post
Hi John_Young: I am a representative of Trex and I would like to assist in addressing your concern. In an independent study, Trex was comparable in surface temps to pressure treated boards. Trex is similar to wood and responds to heat in the same way. Darker colors of wood get hotter than lighter colors and Trex reacts in the same fashion. You may also want to visit your local Trex dealer to obtain some product samples if you have not done so already. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Brittany
Trex
Brittany, If Trex responds like wood then why would you want to pay a lot more to install Trex over wood? Can you address some of the concerns posted by the other responders?
Preach_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,088

Trex decking questions

Brittany, I'm not sure what you mean when you say Trex is similar to wood.

Perhaps you might explain that to us.

It is my understanding that Trex will get far hotter than wood out in the sunshine. And correct me if I'm wrong, but does Trex not flex in such a situation?

This is perhaps why it is not used as a framing material. It does not have the same strength as wood.

I'm not knocking the product, but Trex definitely is not the same as real wood.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Trex decking questions

Definettly not the same as wood, when you heat up Trex you can bend it to form curves, I have installed quite a few Trex decks and haven't experienced the problems that seems to have plagued many end users. Knock on wood
mark2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:34 AM   #10
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

Trex decking questions

John, Welcome to the Forum,

I am in coastal Southern Ca and have had a partially shaded 600 sq ft Trex deck for 10 years with no problems. I let mine bleach out to a light Gray.

Trex says that In an independent study, Trex was comparable in surface temps to pressure treated boards.

http://www.trex.com/faqs/

Consumer Reports in the brand new July 2010 issue has a review on Decking
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #11

Trex decking questions

Bob:

I am sincerely glad that your deck has been a good performer for you. I do note that you have made the comment "partially shaded".

But I am afraid that just because Trex says something, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is true. From personal experience, I do not believe the deck surface temperatures are the same as p.t. wood. If only for the simple reason that the far higher density of Trex (.96) will hold far more heat.

In their defense, they do say "surface temperature". But that is not a Trex study.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,024

Trex decking questions

The July 2010 CR Decking Report covers four types of Decking
Wood..........7
Composite..11
Plastic........6
Aluminum....1

The CR comment on Composites as a Category is "has had mildew and other issues"

To me, I found it strange that Trex was not in the list of 11

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #13

Trex decking questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
The July 2010 CR Decking Report covers four types of Decking
Wood..........7
Composite..11
Plastic........6
Aluminum....1

The CR comment on Composites as a Category is "has had mildew and other issues"

To me, I found it strange that Trex was not in the list of 11

I think I would be inclined to agree with you Bob. Unless for some reason Trex has a proprietary composite unlike any other.

Might be interesting to find out.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Trex decking questions

Might have to take back when I said I ve had no problems yet. Just got a call from a client that I installed a Trex deck for and they are complaining of staining and spotting. I will be seeing them this week and will post some pictures

mark2007 is offline   Reply With Quote