Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #1

Share |

Trex Decking Discoloration

My three year old Trex Deck looks awful with dark spots and fading. There are no trees above the deck - blue sky and air. Trex has said they do not honor claims involving discoloration if there is no damage. It looks awful and we paid big bucks for the stuff. Be aware that Trex has a problem and they know it. After putting you through a long warranty process that excludes the dealer and installer - they simply deny the claim. Both the installer and the dealer say our deck is bad - but Trex will not honor any claims. I would not recommend a Trex Deck under any circumstances.

ozarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozarkee For This Useful Post:
dmaurno (09-29-2010), melissawines (09-04-2010)
Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
AbeBarker

Yeah, I notice that the wave of Trex decking that has washed over is now looking putrid. I refuse to install it now. Sorry about the trouble. I use "Lattitude" and TimberTech".

AbeBarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #3

There's a couple big threads around here with the same opinion as you.
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkee View Post
My three year old Trex Deck looks awful with dark spots and fading. There are no trees above the deck - blue sky and air. Trex has said they do not honor claims involving discoloration if there is no damage. It looks awful and we paid big bucks for the stuff. Be aware that Trex has a problem and they know it. After putting you through a long warranty process that excludes the dealer and installer - they simply deny the claim. Both the installer and the dealer say our deck is bad - but Trex will not honor any claims. I would not recommend a Trex Deck under any circumstances.
We installed a Winchester grey deck in April 2006.

Last summer it had weathered to several different shades of grey, the large panels we had installed to cover the ends of the boards had warped to such an extent the the screws sheard off in one place and the warped board dislodged a piece of downpipe in another. We are talking warping of at least an inch.

The ends of about half the boards have split from the screws to the end, and we have black spots all over the surface - though not always on adjoining boards - very strange.

It is also unbearable to walk on in bare feet in the sun.

We started a claim under the warranty last October. Eventually, they sent an independent evaluator out to look at the deck about 3 weeks ago. Of course, he could not comment.

Today, we received a letter denying any liabilty. Thye referred to the photos we sent them last year, telling us that they could see (from the photos) that the screws were closer to the ends of the boards than the recommended on inch. We have measured them all - they are all at one inch.

They made no reference to the report, and did not address any of the other issues we cited in our complaint

I have not replied to them yet. I have read posts about Trex in the carpentry seciton of the website as well as the construction section, so i know there are many other dissatisfied customers out there. How many does it take to get Trex to admit there is a problem with their product.

I had a relpy to this same post from a class action law suit attorney in NY - has he contacted you too? I intend to reply to Trex telling them what I think of their warranty.
Last edited by mrsmac : 04-23-2008 at 09:18 PM.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #5

This is typical gotcha capitalism by Trex practiced widely in corporate America today. They have no intentions of honoring any warranties. Trex has refused to fix our awful deck and my take is they could care less about anything other than saying no. My deck still has dark spots and looks terrible. These forums are my only outlet to holding Trex accountable in the least. Costing them business is my only option left. That is too bad, Trex should be listening to their customers and helping us fix this ugly deck. Instead they are shafting their customers and laughing all the way to the bank. Trex is expensive. Don't buy it and let everyone know!
ozarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkee View Post
This is typical gotcha capitalism by Trex practiced widely in corporate America today. They have no intentions of honoring any warranties. Trex has refused to fix our awful deck and my take is they could care less about anything other than saying no. My deck still has dark spots and looks terrible. These forums are my only outlet to holding Trex accountable in the least. Costing them business is my only option left. That is too bad, Trex should be listening to their customers and helping us fix this ugly deck. Instead they are shafting their customers and laughing all the way to the bank. Trex is expensive. Don't buy it and let everyone know!
This is a reply to my post I got today

"I am a class action attorney investigating Trex claims. If anyone would like to discuss problems with trex decking (including mold, splitting, crumbling, discoloration, etc...), please contact me at: sorry not the place for this"

Have you heard from this guy? I am thinking of contacting him - what is there to lose? Trex already had to settle a class action lawsuit in 2004. Having paid over $9000 for materials I was expecting to have a fabulous deck for the next 20 years or so. Now I have an ugly problem on my hands.

Last edited by slickshift; 04-25-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: edited solicitation contact info
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #7

Angry

I have read the other posts and dont want to bother repeating what has been said. I have had the same experiences. The material is not as warrented and the company does not stand behind it.

DO NOT USE TREX EVER, NO MATTER WHAT.

I would also be careful of other composits and see old examples before committing..
jamalily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #8

Smile

Our local lumber yard actually suggested the internet to compare the types of composite decking since we were not certain what material to use on our 15x15 repacement deck! I am glad I read your review first before purchasing TREX. The Eureka dealer also told me it took forever for Trex manufacturer to reimburse them for replacement due to a customer's complaint, so its not only the customers Trex is shorting/stifing! It's also the dealers. Eventually they were reimbursed but now have discontinued carrying Trex because of the attitude & time it took to resolve their issue with them. I think this one time I will concede the decision to my husband & go with real wood decking. Thank you! - junia
junia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Mrsmac
Lay A Wooden Ruler Down Along The Edgegs Of The Deck And Take Some Pictures. Copy The Reply The Sent You And Send It Back With A Copy Of The Photo, And Explain To Them That You Want Them To Honer There Warrenty,and If Not, Explain To Them You Were Contacted By A Attorney You Is Going To Start A Class Action Law Suit And If Nothing Is Done Your Going To Seek His Services. Good Luck.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeBarker View Post
Yeah, I notice that the wave of Trex decking that has washed over is now looking putrid. I refuse to install it now. Sorry about the trouble. I use "Lattitude" and TimberTech".
I installed a Timbertech deck 5 years ago on the recommendation of a contractor friend-it stills looks great. Its a shame that Trex is treating people the way that they are. Your not the first person I've heard complain about it.
elscorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #11

Unhappy

I just tried to clean my 1000sq ft Trex deck which was filled with mold and mildew with Corte Clean, after taking 3 days of labor intensive exercise and much water it looks better but not 100% or even close. I noticed everyone's comments and have started to see my decking splitting where the boards meet from the screws splitting. I didn't know about the other class action suit (I believe I would have qualified for inclusion in it). I have got to do something the deck looks gross.

Suggestions???
iisk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #12

Dear Iisk8
I am a representative of Trex and wanted to address your decking concerns. Please contact me at 800-BUY-TREX or question@trex.com at your convenience.

Pat M
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisk8 View Post
I just tried to clean my 1000sq ft Trex deck which was filled with mold and mildew with Corte Clean, after taking 3 days of labor intensive exercise and much water it looks better but not 100% or even close. I noticed everyone's comments and have started to see my decking splitting where the boards meet from the screws splitting. I didn't know about the other class action suit (I believe I would have qualified for inclusion in it). I have got to do something the deck looks gross.

Suggestions???
Based on your statements concerning your use of Corte Clean, I am 100% convinced that you did not use Corte Clean correctly by reading and following its label directions to properly clean your Trex deck.

I have personally cleaned numerous Trex and other brands of composites with Corte Clean of the nastiest stains caused by mold, mildew, grease, oil, rust, tannin, etc. It has never taken me "3 days of labor intensive exercise" to clean 1000 sq ft. I wish you would have called us. We would have saved you alot of time and hassle.

We do not want any person to be dissapointed with Corte Clean when cleaning Trex or any other composite deck, dock or fence. We stand behind Corte Clean 100% with a money back guarantee as long as the customer purchases enough product to clean the intended square footage and reads and follows the Corte Clean label directions. Corte Clean has a 100% success rate when properly used.

If you or any person has any further questions, please visit the www.corteclean.com website or call 415 924-9500
CorteClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:24 AM   #14
knewbie

I did not read all of the posts to this thread but as a professional deck contractor I would not consider stains as a cause for legal action.

Many contractors will "sell you" on composite decking as a completely maintenance free and miracle cure product.

If you spill something on composite it will stain, If you dont keep debris off of it it will stain, if you drag your furniture on it, it will scratch.

As far as cracking, splintering or other similar issues, yes there in a reason for legal recourse.

Personally I do not use or endorse Trex for many reasons.
curapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #15

Can you stain TREX decking material?

normanr is offline   Reply With Quote