Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Share |
Cool

Trex Deck cleaning

We purchased our condo in the summer of 2010 and the two composite decks had been cleaned and looked beautiful. Last year, not so much. We attempted to clean with various products and they still looked bad. This year after a lovely western Washington winter, I am mortified at how bad they look. Saddle color is no longer apparent just splotchy black dots everywhere. We can not afford to replace 1000 square feet of deck. No one seems to have a good plan for cleaning of these, I have searched the internet and basically just found people saying replace it. I am half tempted to pressure wash...no warranty anyway...unless someone has some magical answer as to how to clean this stuff. I'm not afraid of nor opposed to hardwork. But if I am going to put forth the effort, I prefer it to look better when I am through! Anyone?

incognito_wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

Trex Deck cleaning

Spray with 12% bleach let dwell for 10-15 minutes keeping it wet. Then power wash under low pressure 1200 PSI. The black is mold deep in the "grain " of the wood particles within the plastic. It will keep coming back as ther is no solution to stop it. So much for their maintenance free claims. Just like Tin Man(aluminum siding)

Here is Trex's own site
http://www.trex.com/trex/groups/cont...ning_guide.pdf

Last edited by CaptRandy; 04-28-2012 at 01:45 PM.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Trex Deck cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRandy View Post
Spray with 12% bleach let dwell for 10-15 minutes keeping it wet. Then power wash under low pressure 1200 PSI. The black is mold deep in the "grain " of the wood particles within the plastic. It will keep coming back as ther is no solution to stop it. So much for their maintenance free claims. Just like Tin Man(aluminum siding)

Here is Trex's own site
http://www.trex.com/trex/groups/cont...ning_guide.pdf
Dead on! And rent "Tin Men" if I remember the title. Hilarious fun.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

Trex Deck cleaning

That's it DeVito and Dryfuss
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning deck, composite decking