Travel Trailer Floor(or Lack There Of) - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

travel trailer floor(or lack there of)

I hope this is in the right spot....I'm rebuilding a travel trailer (Glenete, I think)early 1970's and I have an issue with the floor. The floor boards are rotted out along most of one side and across the back underneath the outside walls. This means that the walls have sagged about 1/2" in these areas and I was wondering about the best way to put new plywood down so the walls will have a firm base to be screwed to. I obviously need to lift the walls somehow, but I'm not sure of the best way. When the trailer was built, the outer supports coming off the frame weren't long enough and are about 4-6 inches from the outside walls. I'd like to rebuild this trailer if possible, but I've run out of ideas on this one....anyone come across this before and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks in advance...

Pete

Advertisement

pete53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I found a Glendette travel trailer. The subfloor is attached to some structure, it isn't the structure. Is there a metal frame that the plywood gets attached to? If the walls have dropped, they might need to be replaced.
Can you get a service manual for this unit?
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ron....there is a metal frame but it doesn't come all the way out as far as the walls. I was thinking of extending the metal out by attaching 2' long 2x6's and then the floor would have enough support for the walls. They've only dropped about 5/8 to 3/4 inch in a couple of spots. If I were to screw a 2x6 to the wall studs on the insde and do some prying with a big bar, do you think I'd be able to lift the wall high enough to slide the plywood floor underneath? The trailer is too old(early 1970's) to find a manual.
pete53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You'd lift the wall from the outside. The attachment method would depend on what's there. You would need a jacking point and maybe just a car jack or a small bottle jack.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote