Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toxic black mold

Anyone dealt with this problem? My 1st time on here and desperate for help??

sissy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #2

Toxic black mold

Hi sissy
You don't say where or how much. How do you know it is toxic? Not all black mold is toxic but irregardless Mold isn't a good thing for your house or health.
Bleach in a spray bottle should kill it BUT there has to be a reason for it to be growing. A leaky pipe, roof or something is causing dampness and that needs to be taken care of as well. If you rent, try your landlord. If that doesn't quickly get the mold and other problem solved then I would contact the HEALTH Department in your area. I don't think they charge anything but .... You don't want to be exposed to that stuff, especially elderly and Young kids are even more at risk with exposure. It can spread places you can't even see like behind the walls and into the air ducts and ventilation system.
Toxic Black mold can also be described as Toxic Deadly Black mold.

Simbabluenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 AM   #3

Toxic black mold

We closed on this house on 8-15 this year. While doing some minor remodeling we found black mold behind drywall, due to a leaky shower head. It just kept popping up,wet wallpaper and then it rained and we had 3 leaks in the roof. They had disclosed to us the roof had leaked but they had them fixed. Well let me tell you when we pulled the ceiling out to repair the damage, the drywall in the ceiling was black and it was on the paper backing also. Along with the other problems we had found, heat pump was gonna put out carbon monoxide if we had used it, the ceiling could collapse due to main beam damage, and some other minor things we had found. Needless to say we had had enough. We had called a house inspector to come in.This was not required from bank beforehand, and we knew the homeowners and trusted them and the realtor also. The report came back toxic in every sample. Even the bedroom where my 1 yr. old slept. We had to vacate and here we are with 2 kids living with family and noone seems to care.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Toxic black mold

Your Homeowners insurance policy may offer some help. Read it carefully many have limits or exclusions for mold.

Limits generally are 10K. The mold mitigators & ALE can eat that up quick.

You will need to get smart on how to deal with this quickly. What part of the world are you in?
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Toxic black mold

You need to talk to a lawyer
Do not say "I can't afford it"
The fact is, you can't afford not to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbabluenobi View Post
Toxic Black mold can also be described as Toxic Deadly Black mold.
I'm sorry, but IMO that's a little irresponsible
The actual amount of toxicity, is in dispute by reputable experts, it can certainly vary from person to person, like lactose intolerance or a peanut allergy

Yes, we know people can die from eating peanuts, but we don't call them Deadly Peanuts
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #6

Toxic black mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
I'm sorry, but IMO that's a little irresponsible
The actual amount of toxicity, is in dispute by reputable experts, it can certainly vary from person to person, like lactose intolerance or a peanut allergy

Yes, we know people can die from eating peanuts, but we don't call them Deadly Peanuts
Irresponsible Wrong usage for the word.. but whatever IMO
Yes not all black mold is Toxic or deadly. If you read the post correctly I asked how she knew it was toxic. There was not much information in the original post and if the black mold was indeed toxic it could very well be deadly. And not knowing if there were children or elderly involved who would be the most susceptible to a form of black mold which may be toxic could be more harmful to them. And I think someone dieing from peanuts just might call them deadly peanuts. The wording was to emphasize the urgency to get the situations under control. Both the Leak wherever it was and to find out if the mold was indeed toxic because the strains of mold which are toxic could very well be deadly.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #7

Toxic black mold

It was tested in a lab and proven to be Toxic Black Mold. We have a 14 and a 2 yr old. Have moved out and noone will help. My kids were sick from the 1st day we lived in the house and that was only for 2 weeks. Paid 1st payment and moved out on the same day. We are foster parents and cannot foster any more children because our house will not pass state inspection. My 2 yr old is confused and my husband and I feel like a failure Living with family and out of our car is getting old. We need a miracle!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbabluenobi View Post
Irresponsible Wrong usage for the word.. but whatever IMO
Yes not all black mold is Toxic or deadly. If you read the post correctly I asked how she knew it was toxic. There was not much information in the original post and if the black mold was indeed toxic it could very well be deadly. And not knowing if there were children or elderly involved who would be the most susceptible to a form of black mold which may be toxic could be more harmful to them. And I think someone dieing from peanuts just might call them deadly peanuts. The wording was to emphasize the urgency to get the situations under control. Both the Leak wherever it was and to find out if the mold was indeed toxic because the strains of mold which are toxic could very well be deadly.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #8

Toxic black mold

Check this site, it will help ...

http://www.moldinspector.com/mold_testing.htm
rolldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #9

Toxic black mold

Sorry bout all the bad happening to you right now. For the House: Check with the realtor you bought it through, check with welfare, check with lawyer. Sounds like you could be strapped for money and may not have the funds available to fix the mold problem and house. Lawyers often have a FREE Consultation and some may even take the case on a contingency basis and get paid when there is a settlement. Did you check with the HEALTH Department.... They may see that the mold is removed and possibly Bill you Later as they wouldn't want that mold in the neighborhood. And some churches (including Salvation Army and St Vincent DePauls Etc...) may be able to put you up in a motel room for a little while. Miracles do happen.
Contact your Local Newspaper and TV Station news department. The more people aware of your plight the greater chance of reaching those that could and would help. At least you got out of there before your kids got Really sick .....Good Luck
Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Toxic black mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy4 View Post
We need a miracle!!
You need a lawyer
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Ecopreneur/Entrepreneur

Toxic black mold

Get a lawyer. One that works on a contingency basis would be appropriate.

Good luck,

Alan
ADVERTISING LINK REMOVED

Last edited by Termite; 08-14-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: site rules violation
ACB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #12

Toxic black mold

Call your insurance company and file a claim. Many times they have subs they use so you can get this thing fixed sooner rather then later.
You might contact your real estate lawyer to find out if the previous owners violated the agreement to fix the leaks or failed to disclose issues with the house.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote