Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

Share |

torch on roofing

Hello All,

I have just joined the Forum and would like some comments on others knowledge and experience, with applying torch on roofing, when it is raining. I have just built a carport and laid the plywood. Now it has started raining and I want to know if it is okay to proceed with laying the torch on down, when the plywood is wet. I have a contractor but want to know for my own knowledge.

With thanks

R. Clark

rosemaryaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #2

torch on roofing

States are starting to ban the use of torch down roofing. Probably due to incompetants doing the work and setting the structure on fire. I'd check on that first.
It seems to me that putting a new roof on a wet structure is ill advised(stupid).
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #3

torch on roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
States are starting to ban the use of torch down roofing. Probably due to incompetants doing the work and setting the structure on fire. I'd check on that first.
It seems to me that putting a new roof on a wet structure is ill advised(stupid).
Ron
I live in Vancouver,Canada. The use of torch on is still common here and not banned. I have used it on the "lean too" back portion of my 100+ year old house. Professionally installed and is holding up well. I remain very dubious of putting torch on down when the surface is damp or wet. The rainy season has started and I am hoping to not loose the decking/plywood that is already laid down. A professional will be doing it. I want to arm myself with some info though and not have any issues post installation. Thanks for your feedback. This is a great web-site.
R. Clark
rosemaryaclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

torch on roofing

Any roofing material should be applied to a dry deck. Torch downs depend on heating the asphalt so that it melts into and bonds to the pores of the deck. It can't bond if the pores are filled with water. Additionally, any moisture in the deck will create vapor pressure on the underside of the roof membrane and try to lift the roofing material. Basically, on a nice sunny day it will blister.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote