Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific North west
Posts: 1,262
Rewards Points: 528
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice12 View Post
We had the assessor stop by our place three times in one year.

The first time was right after our house was built.
I'm not sure why she came out the 2nd time, but it was a few months after we moved in.
The third time was about six months later when we had some landscaping & a paver stone patio put in. Apparently she was across the lake looking at a new house that was going up when she saw the landscaping we put in...and she came over.

How often are assessors supposed to come by?

Kind of pisses me off she was out here three times in one year.
Just FYI You can post no trespassing signs and exercise your 4th amendment rights. And tell them to get off your land. They have zero right to be there. they can drive by or Google earth it extra.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
Blues Hockey Fan
 
cprice12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 85
Rewards Points: 75
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Just FYI You can post no trespassing signs and exercise your 4th amendment rights. And tell them to get off your land. They have zero right to be there. they can drive by or Google earth it extra.
I don't want "No Trespassing" signs up on my property. I don't want to be that guy.
Maybe I can put up a "No Assessors" sign.

We own 5 acres and our house sits on the back side of it, across a lake. They wouldn't see much by driving by on the road.

She came by when I was at work the last two times and talked to my wife. I wish I had been here to tell her to GTFO.
cprice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice12 View Post
We had the assessor stop by our place three times in one year.

The first time was right after our house was built.
I'm not sure why she came out the 2nd time, but it was a few months after we moved in.
The third time was about six months later when we had some landscaping & a paver stone patio put in. Apparently she was across the lake looking at a new house that was going up when she saw the landscaping we put in...and she came over.

How often are assessors supposed to come by?

Kind of pisses me off she was out here three times in one year.

Hey cprice,
she came by our place and the taxes shot up. we pitched a b and we were told the reason was because of the 75' deck we have. The barn is 30' X 40' and the deck is 10' x 10'. They sent another assessor out and it was explained that she counted the cement slab on the side of the barn as a deck. It is only 8' x 40' so don't know where she came up with 75' of deck. taxes still went up but no where near 75' of deck
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
Getting There
 
MecGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 25
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Is it just me? I would feel a little uncomfortable with my neighbor taking pics of me behind his window, then putting them up on the web ... just saying

Last edited by MecGen; 03-01-2012 at 09:41 AM.
MecGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Blues Hockey Fan
 
cprice12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 85
Rewards Points: 75
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardway View Post
Hey cprice,
she came by our place and the taxes shot up. we pitched a b and we were told the reason was because of the 75' deck we have. The barn is 30' X 40' and the deck is 10' x 10'. They sent another assessor out and it was explained that she counted the cement slab on the side of the barn as a deck. It is only 8' x 40' so don't know where she came up with 75' of deck. taxes still went up but no where near 75' of deck
Taxes are sky high in our area already.
We fight them every time and get them knocked down some. The whole process is shady and should be illegal.
The mere idea that by complaining, I can get my taxes reduced? Why the hell were they that high in the first place? Since they were reduced, they were apparently too high. Why were they too high?
Ridiculous.
cprice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 526
Rewards Points: 514
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


if you refuse the assessor the right to inspect your property, in NY they are instructed to assume that your property is estate quality and raise the assessment based on that. Much easier to allow them access and fight it out at grievance day or in small claims court.

By the way, in the OP's post I am to understand you think that maintenance on a property requires a new assessment?

For example new driveway or a shed???
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
Blues Hockey Fan
 
cprice12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 85
Rewards Points: 75
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
if you refuse the assessor the right to inspect your property, in NY they are instructed to assume that your property is estate quality and raise the assessment based on that. Much easier to allow them access and fight it out at grievance day or in small claims court.
I have no issue with the assessor actually assessing the property...but not three times in one year. That's just her being a B*tch.
cprice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,745
Rewards Points: 1,004
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
if you refuse the assessor the right to inspect your property, in NY they are instructed to assume that your property is estate quality and raise the assessment based on that. Much easier to allow them access and fight it out at grievance day or in small claims court.

By the way, in the OP's post I am to understand you think that maintenance on a property requires a new assessment?

For example new driveway or a shed???
These things were actually improvements which is why the three old geezers were out there taking measurements. The driveway was dirt before. I'm not sure which things were considered improvements to them but they tool measurements.

I just think it's ironic every time I see someone new move into a place that has such limitations- this place, for example is a small 1 or 2 bedroom and has 0 acreage. They spend a lot of money on improvements. It this area, there are so many houses for sale and pretty cheap too. I think he could have bought a place with everything he needed for less than the improvements are costing him. On top of that, he has an old style cesspool rather than a septic system that will probably need replacing- not sure if he knows it or not. Still, he's a better neighbor than the renters that were in there before. They had the cops there a lot. I just haven't had the opportunity to get to know him. I've learned to be cautious when it comes to neighbors anyway since the POS in the next hous up moved in.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #24
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,487
Rewards Points: 2,316
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Ya know....California is not so bad after all....

When I built my garage, the tax assessor came out after the final inspection....they gave me a credit for the old garage....so my tax base went up $25K...(my garage has more sq footage than my house).

Once my 2-story addition is done...they will do the same thing again...the new value will be on just the addition...they will use the sq footage on the approved prints....doubt they will even look at it....

Even with CA income tax....my property tax and State income taxes are less than some other parts of the country....I have one friend in Texas who is paying more...not a big house...lives in the country on 2 acres...pays more than me.

In California...they don't go out looking for additional taxes...but they do look for unpermitted structures....well, actually, they wait until someone calls and complains....
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,745
Rewards Points: 1,004
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Deleted.

Last edited by Jim F; 03-01-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,745
Rewards Points: 1,004
Default

It took a while but they finally got the assessors attention.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Ya know....California is not so bad after all....

When I built my garage, the tax assessor came out after the final inspection....they gave me a credit for the old garage....so my tax base went up $25K...(my garage has more sq footage than my house).

Once my 2-story addition is done...they will do the same thing again...the new value will be on just the addition...they will use the sq footage on the approved prints....doubt they will even look at it....

Even with CA income tax....my property tax and State income taxes are less than some other parts of the country....I have one friend in Texas who is paying more...not a big house...lives in the country on 2 acres...pays more than me.

In California...they don't go out looking for additional taxes...but they do look for unpermitted structures....well, actually, they wait until someone calls and complains....
Property taxes are dependent on the tax base. In areas where the median home prices are higher the property tax rates are lower- just the opposite of income taxes.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally decided to jump in and join. JohnKC Introductions 10 09-08-2011 05:16 PM
FINALLY, I am finished, a huge thank you to all especially Atlantic and Bud.. yummy mummy Project Showcase 37 04-21-2010 10:51 AM
Toilet finally bit the big one. speedster1 Plumbing 3 04-06-2010 02:33 PM
Finally Success! fw2007 Electrical 4 03-29-2008 09:20 AM
Finally a DIY with HVAC! Guido Introductions 4 01-22-2008 07:31 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.