Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Been at it for 45 years

Share |

toilet tank leaks after replacing all parts

Hi, gang,

Been a while since I've been here, and I REALLY need help. We installed a powder room, and got a free toilet (insert *groan* here) and I decided I'd replace all the guts rather than wait for something to fail. After spending all day (seriously 9-? because I'm still at it) I just got everything back together, and the !@#$ tank is leaking.

Could it be that I haven't tightened the bolts from tank to bowl tight enough? I'm so afraid of cracking the china I'm afraid that might be. It's a "vintage" (read: old) from possibly 1957, so could it be possible I need a larger gasket or some such thing?

Any help appreciated.

This Old Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

When I replaced the flapper on my toilet it still leaked until I tightened up the tank more. Once I did that it leaked a lot less until I played around with the water level a little bit. Once I got that right it stopped leaking completely. If there are two peaks at the back of the seat that are supposed to line up with two downward peaks at the bottom of the tank, I tighten until they are just barely touching each other and then I stop. I do a little at a time on each side. I don't tighten the bolt on the bottom that is connected to the solid washer, I hold that in place and turn the screw inside the tank that is up against the rubber one. IF you didn't mark the water level before you drained it hopefully you should see a mark of some kind in the tank to help you adjust it back to where it was.

eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Been at it for 45 years

Thanks! I found the problem. I put the paper gasket on the wrong side of the nut! What a dope. Took it all apart and put things where they belonged, and I now have a working vintage toilet!

Cheers!
This Old Spouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to This Old Spouse For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-19-2014), oh'mike (01-15-2014), ToolSeeker (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #4

Gotta love that word vintage. LOL
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Gotta love that word vintage. LOL
Yeah, in this case vintage means using way more water than is needed. I had two in my house from 1959 when I bought it. Always thought my water bill was a bit high so I started watching things. I clocked the water meter and found that it used almost 10 gallons of water each flush
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #6

Yes but those vintage toilets had large openings and rarely got plugged.
Modern "water conserving" toilets require double flush to get everything through and require frequent plunging.

chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote