Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Tips for cleaning flooded basement

Basement flooded today, my first time dealing with this as a homeowner. Cleaning up as best I can, but are there any "Be sure to check" or "don't forget to" tips anyone can give me to make sure I don't end up with problems in the future (mold, etc.)?

sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ouch, that sucks. Guess first step is find out the cause and fix it, but that's kinda the obvious.

Is it finished or unfinished? Either way, key things to check are probably appliances such as furnace, water heater, washer/dryer etc... make sure there's no water in them before they are put to use. May need to open them up to air them out.

Get lot of fans and dehumidifiers going in there. The faster you dry it out the less chance of mold. May want to get a couple jugs of Benefect too, and spray it everywhere.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Part finished, part unfinished. Overall could have been worse. The two rooms with carpeting - one was completely dry, other has a damp spot in the corner that we're drying with a fan. All appliances are unscathed. mostly wet boxes.

I think my sump pump may have died.

How do I figure out the entry point? Was water in multiple places in the basement with no connection to each other.
sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,060

If you have any fiberglass that may possibly be damp, get rid of it. - Same applies to "drywall" since it will never really dry out in place and must be scrapped. - Insurance may cover it if the water came up and it was not directly from the surface (flood).

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
Part finished, part unfinished. Overall could have been worse. The two rooms with carpeting - one was completely dry, other has a damp spot in the corner that we're drying with a fan. All appliances are unscathed. mostly wet boxes.

I think my sump pump may have died.

How do I figure out the entry point? Was water in multiple places in the basement with no connection to each other.
Details would help.
Is the sump part of a perimeter drain system?
Was it raining at the time?
Does the sump cycle on and off regardless of the weather outside?
Is the sump pump working or not? Should be an easy determination.
Is the sump pit filled with water?
All wet sheetrock should be replaced. For ease of install cut it out all at the same height. Turn on the dehumidifier, the fan(s) and open the windows. Remove all wet material and make sure the areas behind the walls are completely dry before you close them up.
As you open the walls, a perimeter drain system will be seen behind the floor bottom plate. If water filled it up, water would have overflowed around the basement walls. That would be the elusive connection.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #6

Dick, you will like this one.........

http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhou...rglassMold.htm
Work the site.

Gary