Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #1

Share |

Tinting (not painting) existing cement

Cement pad exists for 50+ years in a covered breezeway leading to my front door. I live in an area that rarely gets 25 degree weather for more than a week, usually mid-30's and above--and this is a protected area. It's cement gray-color. I'd like to make it a light terra cotta, but not really change the texture or re-do where the cracks have been filled over the years because as it stands would give it a more antique look. It seems pretty solid as a surface. Is there some way to do a "wash" over it? Even a few times, to get some good color on it without changing it's texture? I think painting it would give the wrong look altogether--too solid, not enough "movement." It's a bit rough to the touch, which is good, not slippery. I think it was covered with an indoor-outdoor rug which was not glued down for years.

readergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #2

There are(were) concrete stains, haven't used one in a long time. Check a local paint store or even a tile or concrete store. You will need to figorously clean the concrete, and probably an acid wash(muriatic acid) is needed. The stain has a mild acid that needs to be mixed in, follow directions carefully.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #3

If you are going to acid stain it (probably the best option) do not acid wash it.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Take a look at acid staining here.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #5

The acid staining site , (thanks, Willie T) seems to have all the info I need. I was astounded at how complete it was. So, come end of summer, cocktails at my house! I'm sure I will have finished everything outside by then.

Sorry, I couldn't help but use those silly icons.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readergal View Post
The acid staining site , (thanks, Willie T) seems to have all the info I need. I was astounded at how complete it was. So, come end of summer, cocktails at my house! I'm sure I will have finished everything outside by then.

Sorry, I couldn't help but use those silly icons.
It literally tickles me whenever I find a site like that where someone really tries to do a job the right way, and "bares all" in the telling.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #7

I have trouble finding sites--was it on this DIY chat? I couldn't tell from the link. I did find a beaute for inexpensive (i hope) and creative fences . Pass it on if you'd like. http://www.ro-lu.com/
Old 02-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by readergal View Post
I have trouble finding sites--was it on this DIY chat? I couldn't tell from the link. I did find a beaute for inexpensive (i hope) and creative fences . Pass it on if you'd like. http://www.ro-lu.com/
I've found you can find a world of neat ideas on GOOGLE.... but you need to hit <images> after you have Googled a particular subject. Muchly cool way to search.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #9

I'mputting you on as a "friend." I hopeit will make it easier to find you/respond to things.

Tags
coloring cement, flooring, prefinished cement