Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Too Old

Share |

Time to get creative

I would like to see if anyone has ever made adjustments to this type of lift for a 4 legged friend.
http://www.ameriglide.com/item/Ameri...agac-used.html

This is something that I have been thinking about being my boy is having a real hard time with the stairs and I will be next with the way my knees are starting to give me problems. Has anyone used or seen one of these?
My thought was to make the foot rest a platform for my dog to sit on while he takes a ride up the stairs (he weighs about 115)

Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #2

Time to get creative

How old is the dog and what breed is he/she? My brother had a large male great dane that did well on a joint medication(cosequene?)
Actually, I think they're both on it.
Why does the animal need to go up the stairs?

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Too Old

Time to get creative

Ron
Our dog is a Rottweiler that is about 115#, he is on Liquid Health Level 5000 and Duramax right now for the joints. He wants to sleep with us and that is why he wants to go up the stairs. I know I am having a harder time going up the stairs so I was thinking since we are not planning on moving any time soon and may have the mom moving in, why not get something now to help him up the stairs. Also he is like our son being we don't have one anymore.
Just trying to think of a way to do a temp platform on the foot rest for him.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Time to get creative

just hook his leash to it and ,bump,bump,bump,bumpbump,bump viola youre there, sorry couldnt resist.

seriously though looks like you could perhaps make some kind of box out of wood and bolt it to the bottom foot rest
and for what its worth my friend bought one of these off of craigslist for 800 bucks
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #5

Time to get creative

I'd research the weight limitation of the chair and the motor. Adding the weight of the dog and the weight of any platform you need to transport the dog, should be factored into the device
The way the dog gets on and off the platform will be different at the bottom of the stairs vs, at the top of the stairs. You might need a drop down platform at the top to get him off the moving platform to the upper level.

Last edited by Ron6519; 11-26-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #6

Time to get creative

I have a feeling that product is not designed to have so much weight uncentered from the top of the rail. In addition you'd need to have a good sized platform for him to sit on for it to be easy for him to get on and safe as well, and that might block the rest of the stairs. I guess you could make it fold up but I still think you'd be stretching the engineering of the product in a dangerous way.

We lost our old golden late last year in his mid teens. He had slept downstairs in his last few years after having always slept right by my side of the bed. He never seemed to mind much, although he had lost his voice as well and when he needed to go outside he would make the effort to climb up the stairs to let us know, at night. I would usually hear him laboring on the first few steps and go save him the troubel. Other than that he did not seem to mind his peace and quiet downstairs.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote