DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   General DIY Discussions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/)
-   -   Tiling My Kitchen Backsplash Over Existing Paint - Any Special Prep? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/tiling-my-kitchen-backsplash-over-existing-paint-any-special-prep-110898/)

WoodySoCo 07-16-2011 09:43 AM

Tiling My Kitchen Backsplash Over Existing Paint - Any Special Prep?
 
Area is already primed and painted with low grade contractor products.

Should I prime with something moisture resistant before tiling the backsplash?

Thanks,
Jon

oh'mike 07-16-2011 09:49 AM

Not needed----if the paint is glossy,scuff sand it first--otherwise just do a nice layout and start tiling.

user1007 07-16-2011 12:48 PM

Hugh?:no:Tile over potentially scruffed up semi-gloss oil or latex without thinking twice about it? Praying tile will stick?

Just lick the tiles to hold them or chew lots of gum and stick it to the corners if you have a mesh strip holding squares together. I would not worry for a moment using anything else to stick to substandard paint products that may or may not be sticking to anything, like a tile backing, in the first place.:thumbup:Plunk em up and mortar. :jester:
Why are we talking about tiling over a painted surface hoping the adhesion layer of the stuff is going to hold? Makes me scratch my head. Perhaps no others. Paint it or tile it. Cannot do both well from my experience or as you change your mind?

oh'mike 07-16-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 687352)
Hugh?:no:Tile over potentially scruffed up semi-gloss oil or latex without thinking twice about it? Praying tile will stick?

Just lick the tiles to hold them or chew lots of gum and stick it to the corners if you have a mesh strip holding squares together. I would not worry for a moment using anything else to stick to substandard paint products that may or may not be sticking to anything, like a tile backing, in the first place.:thumbup:Plunk em up and mortar. :jester:
Why are we talking about tiling over a painted surface hoping the adhesion layer of the stuff is going to hold? Makes me scratch my head. Perhaps no others. Paint it or tile it. Cannot do both well from my experience or as you change your mind?


What's up----people come here for answers---If I gave out poor advice
Please correct it.

But this gibberish is not helpful---only confusing.

Bud Cline 07-16-2011 04:22 PM

I'm not sure what any of that means either. That's a surprise considering the source is often spot-on. Maybe a little chemical experimentation going on there today?:)

And WHO is Hugh?

oh'mike 07-16-2011 05:13 PM

I was confused,too. He's one of my favorite posters---usually a well spring of fine information.

Sdsester---hope you're feeling all right.---Mike---

Ron6519 07-16-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 687352)
Hugh?:no:Tile over potentially scruffed up semi-gloss oil or latex without thinking twice about it? Praying tile will stick?

Just lick the tiles to hold them or chew lots of gum and stick it to the corners if you have a mesh strip holding squares together. I would not worry for a moment using anything else to stick to substandard paint products that may or may not be sticking to anything, like a tile backing, in the first place.:thumbup:Plunk em up and mortar. :jester:
Why are we talking about tiling over a painted surface hoping the adhesion layer of the stuff is going to hold? Makes me scratch my head. Perhaps no others. Paint it or tile it. Cannot do both well from my experience or as you change your mind?

Send me whatever you've been smoking.
If it was a stroke, you're on your own.

DrHicks 07-16-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodySoCo (Post 687253)
Area is already primed and painted with low grade contractor products.

Should I prime with something moisture resistant before tiling the backsplash?

Thanks,
Jon

Mehhh... Not a big deal. As Mike said, lightly sand the scuff the paint. Thinset. Tile. Grout.

Get the right thinset - NOT the premixed kind that comes in the bucket.

Just take your time and be careful. You'll do just fine.

WoodySoCo 07-19-2011 06:24 AM

Thanks guys.

Will run some 80 grit over it and hope I find the 'right' kind of thinset.:)

oh'mike 07-19-2011 06:59 AM

Any good modified thinset---I prefer white myself but that's just a personal preference.

DrHicks 07-19-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 689201)
Any good modified thinset---I prefer white myself but that's just a personal preference.

How thin/thick do you mix your thinset? I seem to have the best luck when it's right between the consistency of pudding and peanut butter.

oh'mike 07-19-2011 07:07 AM

That's a tough one to answer----I know the sound of my mixer--the resistance as it turns and how easily it comes off the paddle---

Somewhere between pudding and peanut butter----(I always keep a bowl of each next to the mixer:laughing:)

DrHicks 07-19-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 689203)
That's a tough one to answer----I know the sound of my mixer--the resistance as it turns and how easily it comes off the paddle---

Somewhere between pudding and peanut butter----(I always keep a bowl of each next to the mixer:laughing:)

I forgot to mention that it has to be CHOCOLATE pudding. Any other kind won't work. :)

oh'mike 07-19-2011 07:46 AM

I'm coming to your next tile job.----Chocolate,MMMMmmmmmm.

DrHicks 07-19-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 689219)
I'm coming to your next tile job.----Chocolate,MMMMmmmmmm.

Just how old IS this pudding? It's gray - and it takes like crap!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved