Tileboard/Panel Board - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tileboard/Panel Board

Hello everyone! My name is Jeff and I have been updating our bathroom this year. I am a brand new DIYer and have literally had no experience with any of this kind of stuff until now. Side note, being a home owner sucks ; )

So far I have removed the old floor and tile, sanded the walls, patched the cement board around the shower/tub, updated the electrical, patched the sub floor, replaced the underlayment, put up a tub surround, and replaced the toilet.

The next adventure is to put up tileboard/panels board to give the walls a new look.

I purchased 6 of these, but in 8'x4':
http://www.lowes.com/pd_61082-46498-...oard&facetInfo=

My plan is to cut them to what I need, paint them, and then put them up with adhesive.

I have a couple of questions though.

When I put the tileboard up, I know you are supposed to leave a 1/8" gap between panels. But do you need to a leave the same gap between the ceilng and the panel and the floor and the panel?

Also, for the gap between the panels, they have these plastic strips you can get for them and corners. Should i use them or should i use caulk for the gaps? Or is there something else entirely i should use?

I'd also like to paint whatever i fill the gaps with to match the walls so it looks nicer, if possible. Again, not sure if that can be done or should be done.

Any help would be much appreciated....thanks!

Advertisement

eljefe25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tileboard/Panel Board

Why are you using this as opposed to greenboard and paint?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Tileboard/Panel Board

So, you want to put up masonite. They make channels that hold them, but you also have to use carpenter's nails to secure to either the studs, or greenboard.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Tileboard/Panel Board

The walls of the bathroom are still up. I didn't tear down the existing cement board and greenboard/drywall that is there. But after removing the tiles from the walls, the walls are pretty messed up and I don't have the money to hire someone to fix nor the expertise to try and fix the walls so that I can just paint them. So i bought the tileboard stuff to put over it which it says to use adhesive to install.
eljefe25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Tileboard/Panel Board

That would be correct, You can either use mastic applied with a notched trowel, or use Carpenter's nails to hold. Personally, I would pull the Green board down and redo. As for the bath/shower area, there are surround kits that you can put up. We did the later for our bath, since we needed to get it back into service quickly, and not go the tiled surround as we originally wanted.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom , caulk , paint , panel , tileboard