Tile Tub Surround Installation Questions - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile Tub Surround installation questions

Hey everybody,

I started tiling my bathroom upstairs and noticed a couple imperfections that are bothering me. North wall, East Wall and the South Wall (with shower head and knob) were tiled. Not grouted yet. I will take pictures this weekend.

I did the first row with my friend and the rest on my own. We drew a level line, mapped out our tiles and then put them up one at a time using spacers. The tiles turned out pretty nice with very minimal lippage. I'm pretty happy for a first timer! There's a couple tiles I want to redo just for perfections sake, but otherwise there are only really three things I need help with.

On the North Wall, I tiled about a foot after the tub ends to the left instead of completing the tile to the end of the wall. From top to bottom row the tiles end all in line, it's just that the wall is out and in my planning I didn't think of this. Essentially because the wall is crooked there is a gradual variance that starts from the first row of tiles of about 1" from the corner of the wall, that progresses to two inches from the wall at the highest row. My first question is can I just buy a trim, install it, then piece in the partial tiles, even though the sizes of those tiles won't match the rest of the work (they will still be the same tiles)? I'm using a wet tile cutter and I can easily do this. I just don't know what looks better and when pros usually stop tiling.

Question number two. On the South Wall, I tiled it to the end of the wall, BUT I forgot to buy a trim piece to install first. Do they make trims I can add-on after? Am I better off to redo it or just caulk it and call it a day?

Third and last question for now. Where the water line and spout come out of the tiles I cut, do I need to caulk or do anything around that first (before I put on the metal ring plate)?

Advertisement

cabbageman is offline   Reply With Quote